Safari can be FRUSTRATINGLY slow (mostly for google)

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by slagathor001, Nov 5, 2016.

1. slagathor001 macrumors regular

I have 75mbps down and upload speed and a mid 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro.

For what ever reason a lot of the time I try to google something (also go on other random sites...) I'm left with a blank white screen for a bit and THEN it starts to load. It is the most frustrating thing ever when I'm just trying to do a simple google search and and am left waiting at a blank white screen for 5-10 seconds and THEN it seems to start loading after.

Does anyone else have this and does anyone know how to fix it?! Its ridiculous! I've been using chrome a lot because of the slow page loads but I really dislike chrome...

This problem isn't just a Sierra problem either. I've had this problem with El Capitan. At least now links from twitter actually work...

Is this a fix for it? https://appleintheenterprise.com/20...-you-can-ditch-google-chrome-on-macos-sierra/

Thanks!

2. MacUser2525, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Who knows unless you try the command if it does not work out then simply changing the false to true when run again will result in reseting back to the default behaviour, worse case you restart Safari twice to find out then revert if necessary.

Edit: I would add since that setting concerns DNS it can be ISP related in that if their nameserves are junk like mine are then you may need to switch that in your router to a third party like Google or OpenDNS. The later being what I just switched to after the recent DNS attacks it seems much faster than Google ever was. Google's public servers are 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 to set in your router for the address the OpenDNS is listed on their website.

https://use.opendns.com/

3. slagathor001 thread starter macrumors regular

Also I noticed that if I'm in a FaceTime when safari gets that annoying white screen then my FaceTime will get really bad connection and sometimes say "poor connection" until the webpage starts loading. Sometimes that even starts just by me starting to type something in the URL bar.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?! So frustrating.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

maybe try cleaning your history? 5-10 seconds of white blank page is not right. does it happen in other browser too like chrome?

5. slagathor001 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried this. Doesn't work. and nope its perfectly fine in Chrome! So annoying.

6. Kcetech1 macrumors regular

not sure of how relevant it is in January 2017 but Safari has been so slow in implementing new functionality from Webkit that a year and a half web developers were even calling it worse than IE for functionality and all its workarounds. from what my programming friends have said its not much better now. and to think Safari and Chrome actually have common roots.

I know for myself I go as far as pull Safari right off the dock for all the slow loading sites.

https://nolanlawson.com/2015/06/30/safari-is-the-new-ie/

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The las load issues has been ongoing for sometime now and it's seems that no fix is in the works.

8. slagathor001 thread starter macrumors regular

That's really insane

9. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I had so many Safari hang up issues in El Capitan I started using Chrome on this iMac; but since I wiped the machine and reverted to Yosemite, far fewer hang ups.

10. heytommy macrumors newbie

heytommy

I am experiencing this issue as well. Any fix so far?

11. Mrstanleychan macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with Safari after my iPhone upgraded to ios11. If u turn off JavaScript, safari runs buttery smooth. However, most of the website requires JavaScript.

12. slagathor001 thread starter macrumors regular

Switching from Adblock to AdGuard fixed it for me

13. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Also make sure to *NOT* use an old API. (Keeping the checkbox unchecked)

Use the Content Blocking API for a much blocking performance and lower memory usage.

[​IMG]