Safari cannot find the internet plug-in??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 99MustangGTman, Dec 5, 2008.

1. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

OK when going to gametrailers to watch some video game reviews in HD. It gives me this message.

The page “Gametrailers.com - Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams - Exclusive Debut Teaser HD” has content of MIME type “application/x-mplayer2”, but you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type. A plug-in should be available on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPlayer/

Do you want to open the page?

So I went to the page and DL the SilverLight application, still couldn't get the video to show up in HD. It will let me view it in SD, but just not HD. I tried closing the browser and re-opening it, but still the same erroe message happens. Last thing I try is to restart the notebook, but still the same issue. Its weird b/c just before trying to watch that video, I opened another in HD and it let me view it fine. Just all the videos from now on don't work. Can anybody tell me what to do to fix this?
    Thanks
    -Ray

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You need Flip4Mac, the third-party successor to Windows Media Player for Mac. You can get it here.

3. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh this site is great! Thanks for the quick response.

4. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

ok another problem. About half through the install of the flip4mac program I get an error message.

Please insert the "myname" disc to continue installation.

You have chosen to install software that requires this disc.

I don't get it b/c I chose to install the program to my harddrive, so what disc do I need?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...that's weird. Do you have QuickTime 7 or higher installed?

Edit: It appears that there are issues involving FileVault. Do you have that turned on? If you can't easily turn it off, there is a workaround posted here that reportedly works. Not ideal, but it should get you a functioning plugin.

6. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes its a brand new macbook. Thanks i'm going to turn off file vault, i just activated it the other day. Thanks so much for your help!