Safari "cannot open page" intermittent error?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ctdw, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ctdw macrumors member

Is anyone else intermittently getting a pop-up alert on their i4 Safari that states "Cannot Open Page...Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found"?

I only get this on 3G and not WiFi and it's intermittent but frequent enough to be a hassle. It's happening on a number of websites. I have erased my unit and restored and even erased my i4 and did a fresh setup and get the same results. If I try to open the same website in Opera, it opens fine. Five minutes later, the site will typically open up in Safari. My wife's 3GS with iOS4 does not seem to have this issue.

Apps using 3G do not seem to have this intermittent issue, they never have a problem communicating. The only other issue I see is the Apps Store will intermittently come back with a "can't connect error". I have seen a few people post the same Safari issue on the Apple support forums but I am surprised to see no one here mentioning it, making me wonder if it's my phone or AT&T. I am on the 2 gig data plan since I added this phone as a new line vs. replacing my 3GS line (that line and phone are going to someone else).

2. pinwanger macrumors member

mabe you are holding it wrong? Death grip will cause this....:(

3. iHero macrumors member

I get this problem occasionally, however my apps also stop responding. Usually turning data off then back on resets it and gets it to work. Annoying though..

4. ctdw thread starter macrumors member

It's not the grip issue...I am showing a number of 3G bars and other apps are working fine.

5. iCHiRS macrumors member

I get the same thing. It's funny though, because it only happens at my work. I have full bars & 3G, yet it times out. So I just reset the network settings and it went away....

6. ctdw thread starter macrumors member

What is really strange is that I turned on my 3GS which has iOS4 tonight and got the same intermittent safari error when hitting a few sites. So it's happening on two different phones on two different AT&T lines.

The 3GS did not do this prior to my iOS4 upgrade...I am just surprised more people are not complaining about this or seeing this error.

7. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

att data problem. It's out of your hands.

8. mar106 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with Safari showing Cannot open page - the server cannot be found. Seems to be a browser issue - Safari mobile. Only has a problem on certain sites though, so not universal. Problem is intermittent and it seems to resolve itself in a few minutes, but then it keeps happening over and over.

I started having this problem on June 24, 2010 Thursday, was random, but did not happen too often. I called the company whose site I was trying to access while having this problem, they said it's not on their end. Called AT&T few days ago, they said it's not them, it's the web site operator. This did not happen before this day. Still having this problem as of today.

The only fix so far was to switch in network settings back to Edge when the problem occurred, then it worked for a little while, and then problem again, so then I would switch back to 3G, and again it worked for a while, then back to Edge. Very annoying though. This problem only happens on few web sites, one of which is the mobile version of yahoo finance. It does not seem to affect another browser, because I was able to use Opera Mobile without issues. Anybody got a fix for this, or can recommend another mobile browser which has ability to set bookmarks? Opera Mobile seems to have some display issues at the moment on some sites that I use.

I think it's a data issue at ATT, or perhaps something wrong with Safari browser....since Opera Mobile works fine.

I'm still running OS 3.01, but I don't think that is an issue here, since everything worked fine for past 9 months.

What everybody has to do is CALL AT&T and complain about this problem. I called them this morning, they seem to give the usual BS about updating to latest software. They are trained monkeys reading from a manual. This appears to be software independent, as I see some of you are on more up to date software, yet the problem remains. I think it's a DNS issue at AT&T, since when I switch to WiFi at home, the problem disappears. Also, when it does go down on 3G it seems to take some sites with it, but not others, and the problem usually lasts only few minutes after which everything works fine again. 100% DNS issue at At&T. Now if somebody could actually convince these trained monkeys that they have to get off their butts and fix the problem, since it's on their end for sure.