safari cannot verify website what can i do

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fullfloridiancj, Dec 6, 2011.

1. fullfloridiancj macrumors regular

I keep getting a pop up every time I open a safari web page . It reads safari cant verify the identify of this website “name of web site” And that the certificate for this website is invalid. you may be entering a website that is portending to be the “website name” your confidential information may be at risk would you like to connect anyway?

it gives me 3 options

show certificate cancel or continue

I have never seen this before I came home from school and it is on my fathers mac book pro running snow leopard. does anyone else have this problem?? Can anyone help?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Hmm... my general impression is that either the router or the computer itself has been compromised, and you're getting everything you try to load redirected to a scam site of some sort.

However, the link you posted above is essentially trying to load a WWE page through the Facebook content delivery network, which so far as I know is pointless and shouldn't happen. It could be the result of an attempt to use the Facebook redirector maliciously, or it could just be the result of screwed up settings along the line somewhere.

Unless someone else recognizes exactly what's going on here, let's try sidestepping the problem: Are there any other browsers on the computer? Firefox, Chrome, etc. If so, open one of those and see if things are loading normally. That will narrow it down considerably.