Safari can't connect to the server...firefox can

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the editor, Sep 10, 2011.

1. the editor macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm having a very frustrating issue, soon as i start up Safari i always get the Safari can't connect to the server" page. Also its not as if Safari is timing out or as if i first get a blank white page that could point out that its loading or searching the start up page, nope soon as i click the safari icon there is the grey page saying safari can't connect. It does this for whatever site adres i type in.

strange thing is i never have a problem when using Firefox, soon as i start up firefox it just opens my start up page without issues.

tryed everything from re-installing Safari to cleaning history, cache, reset Safari...

I'm using Safari 5.1

Hoping someone here could give me a heads up on how to get this damn browser to work. All help is appreciated

2. npinpi macrumors newbie

Same problem this week. HOURS with tech support with internet and cable provider. Even swapped out my cable modem thinking that would help. FINALLY on live chat with Earthlink I got someone with a brain. Simply had me go to system preferences, network, advanced, DNS tab, and he gave me some specific numbers to put in there. Viola! fixed in less than two minutes! I googled to find out what DNS was about and it was something about not being able to translate the website addresses properly. Anyway, a really easy fix. Just call your internet provider and tell them you need to new DNS addresses.

3. StevenMeyer macrumors member

StevenMeyer

This is typically caused by incorrect DNS settings on your router. Check'em.