Safari causes Random hard freeze in 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by oopsroger, Apr 28, 2014.

1. oopsroger macrumors regular

oopsroger

This happens every two or three days, sometimes a couple of times on the same day, always when I'm in safari.

1. the screen freezes.
    2. Trackpad unresponsive. Cannot see the curser.
    3. If video was playing, the computer repeatedly plays the last sound (before the freeze)
    4. Keyboard unresponsive, cannot enter mission control, cannot adjust brightness or sound volume.
    5. Only cure is to press down power button until the system reboots.
    6. Console. The entries preceding the moment of freeze is different every time. Sometimes there is nothing. The last time it was:

28/4/14 7:09:34.299 pm Google Chrome Helper[11451]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd. : LSXPCClient.cp #426 ___ZN26LSClientToServerConnection21setupServerConnectionEiPK14__CFDictionary_block_invoke() q=com.apple.main-thread
    28/4/14 7:09:34.300 pm Google Chrome Helper[11451]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.
    28/4/14 7:09:34.307 pm Google Chrome Helper[11451]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1100)
    28/4/14 7:20:27.988 pm xpcproxy[11467]: assertion failed: 13C1021: xpcproxy + 3438 [D559FC96-E6B1-363A-B850-C7AC9734F210]: 0x2
    28/4/14 7:23:23.388 pm PluginProcess[11474]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Times Roman" and got font with PostScript name "Times-Roman". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    28/4/14 7:23:23.389 pm PluginProcess[11474]: CoreText performance note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSuboptimalRequest to debug.

Sometimes, the system will just automatically log out (it's better than having to hard reboot, though)

Most unstable release since 10.6. I mean it's normal when they focus on iOS crap.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Modernape, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

Modernape macrumors regular

Let me get this straight, you're blaming this problem on Mavericks, rather than something 3rd-party you've installed (Google Chrome Helper for instance)? It's not Safari causing the crash - as your Console logs would report that, if so. It's the fault of the developers of the App that's crashing, not the fault of Apple.

3. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I've had this same thing happen since Mavericks as well. The one common thing each time is the message you had about Times New Roman.

"8/1/14 6:02:35.866 PM PluginProcess[2681]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Times Roman" and got font with PostScript name "Times-Roman". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API."

I restored to standard fonts in Font Book but still continue to have this message in Console constantly.

I don't use Google Chrome, BTW. The crashes seem to happen randomly, but usually when using Safari. Although, I use Safari more than any other app.

Apple gives their standard non-advice: reset PRAM, SMC, their solution for everything.

----------

Neither a stand-alone app like Chrome nor Safari would cause an entire system to crash, as the OP and I have both experienced. It would be a system process. If using Safari were causing a computer to crash, something a process like webkit that Safari calls on would show up in Console.

4. Northgrove, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

Northgrove macrumors 65816

Haha, just had it happen once again and this time I decided to look up info since it makes me a bit nervous. I never had this happen in Google Chrome but I've now switched back to Safari and have already had it happen a few times...

Complete freeze of Mavericks, like everything. Trackpad unresponsive, no keyboard shortcuts work. Not even a beach ball since it's just completely, instantly locked up. I can only force shutdown the computer.

Very frustrating, not just because of the forced reboot and the potential loss of information, but also because repeated freezes and forced reboots like this can never be good for the system file state.

Since it's still not fixed after four post-Mavericks updates, I guess I can only hope the new Safari 8 will fix it in OS X Yosemite. :p

I think it's hard to place the "blame". It clearly looks like Safari's fault, but that in turn has to do with some OS X API that is bugged since OS X freezes entirely. That's in part the job of an operating system: to not cause system-wide freezes or crashes. It's both a nanny and a boss at once. That's why apps crashes sometimes. The OS is detecting it did something that would cause OS-wide instability and rather takes down the app than let that happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Safari uses some private API call of OS X that's not officially supported, and that it is bugged. It wouldn't be a first for Apple to use unofficial API's.