Safari chokes on Banner Ads in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Exegesis48, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

For some reason after installing Snow Leopard, Safari doesn't seem to like certain banner ads. One specific example being the new "AMD" ads on ComputerWorld.com. I don't know if this is just because Intel is trying to get me to stay away from AMD, or if there's something specifically related to these ads that is causing problems.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Exegesis48 thread starter macrumors regular

Link to page where I am having the problem:
    Click Here

The ads are random of course, but it always chokes on the AMD Flash Player ads, especially if there are two of them going at the same time.

I sent a message to computer world asking what the deal was, but they most likely won't respond.

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I went to the site, refreshed several times and everything is smooth.

I saw 4 AMD ads on the same page (wow overkill), but I experienced no issues.

but flash in general seems to choke on OS X

4. Exegesis48 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem seems to occur mainly when viewing the page in a tab with multiple other tabs open. It doesn't seem to occur all the time anymore, but everyone once in a while things will come to a crawl.

Don't know... Thanks for looking though.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

People still look at ads? I thought everyone used Safari AdBlock now.

6. Benjic macrumors regular

I clicked the link and Safari immediately beachballed for about 15 seconds. Lo and behold, 4 AMD Flash adverts.

I've been having issues with Safari hanging on certain tasks and taking iTunes and any other open app down with it. I'm wondering if anyone else has a solution. I've tried running Safari in both 32 and 64 bit modes.