Safari, Chrome and iCloud Keychain.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Autokon, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

I'm a tad confused and am in need of some help.

I use Chrome as my main browser but once in a blue moon enjoy using Safari. So, I have my bookmarks setup for each differently. ALL of my bookmarks are in Chrome, but my top 10 or so most accessed are in Safari.

When iCloud Keychain launched I thought to myself...ah ok, cool, a way for Safari to store and sync those 10 or websites username/passwords so they can sync across all my iDevices. Easy easy.

However, if I open Safari on my Mac (mavericks), goto prefs, then passwords. It appears to be populated by all the username combos from Chrome. They dont appear to sync to my other devices. I launched a misc website as a test, logged in, saved the username/pw, and that saved/synced to my other devices. So if I goto my iPhone or iPad, I see that one username/pw combo that I just saved inside Safari.

I like to be crazy OCD clean. Why are my Chrome passwords and what not in that password section in Safari? Even when I load up Keychain (the app), and check out the "internet passwords," there associated program is Chrome, not Safari.

Any thoughts? Make sense, what I'm saying?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I follow you and here is what is going on.

When you turn on iCloud Keychain it creates a new entry in the Keychain app (in /Applications/Utilities) I believe it just name is iCloud.keychain. Open Keychain app and you will see the new iCloud Keychain entry. All your old passwords are moved into the new keychain and synced. If you notice the old, default login keychain it still there.

Chrome uses OS X Keychain to store saved passwords, but they are going into the old, default login Keychain.

When you look in the passwords section of Safari all it is doing is showing you what is in the Keychain app keychain(s). It is just a different interfaced to see the same thing in Keychain app.

So when you save a PW in Chrome is goes in the old, default login keychain that is not synced, but can still be seem from inside the Safari password section.

This could theoretically be fixed by a Chrome patch telling Chrome to start using the iCloud keychain.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Every 10.9 Chrome user should know this fact and request it to developer on their Chrome Plus page and be gentle in asking.

4. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon