safari clipping text you scroll

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shaunymac, Aug 20, 2008.

1. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I have had this problem in the past and then it seemed to go away. I have tried resetting safari but it hasn't helped.

I have almost had it with safari altogether. It sucks on the iphone, although it isn't near as bad since the last update, and this stuff that keeps happening almost renders it useless, esp. if you are trying to show someone else a page.

I have no clue what it could be. I am running safari, itunes(nothing playing), and software update on a mbp 2.4 with 2gigs of ram and it still does this:confused:.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know, as I would really like to stay with safari. Thanks.

2. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I've had similar strange artifacts in safari. sometimes clipped text, sometimes scroll bars (especially horizontal ones) will get 'caught' in the scroll and move up the screen with the rest of the page. Usually goes away if I re-load page. I kind of thought it was a system issue, not a safari issue, as it has also happened in 'word' and other applications. it's never bothered me enough to pursue very far. curious to hear some technical responses.

3. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

it has never bothered me that much either up until now! I am trying to look at pictures and click on links and the pictures are all screwed up and the links are sometimes non-existent :eek:.

Maybe someone will have a remedy for us.

Surely Safari should be able to run fine on a Macbook Pro 2.4 with 2 gigs of ram.

Ill go check my little powerbook and see if it is acting up. I think they both have Safari 3.1.2.

4. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

just tried to watch some videos over at kelby and they are not playing to well either:(. They play fine in not in firefox.

Now I know what some of you are going to say, "Kelby isn't made for Mac's!" Well actually that is what almost every over there uses, so I am pretty sure they support macs. Oh, and it even clips on apple's site and I know that one is mac proof.

5. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Temmy macrumors newbie

I was looking around for solutions to problem for me as well and I discovered the culprit is none other than what is now... not surprising...

Microsoft Office seems to install fonts that somehow mess with the defaults on the Macs, which causes the text clipping/warping. I uninstalled Microsoft office through it's own uninstaller, restarted my computer, and problem solved.

7. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

temmy, do you have office 04 or 08?

that is just another reason to really jump aboard on pages and completely leave office in the trash.

If that is truly the culprit, office will be going in the trash!:)

8. Temmy macrumors newbie

EDIT

I had Office 08.

I also found and deleted Microsoft fonts still left on my computer. I am gonna run Maintenance but the problem is still there, just not as often.

I am going to keep trying. Sorry about that.

9. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

I deleted office 04 and I still have the problem. I drug the whole office folder in the trash and microsoft update or something to that extent.

It is really annonying whenever I try to watch videos. I can't test it out at work right now because the lack of wifi:mad:, the admin says "its not secure."

So, if anyone else has any suggestions do comment. I guess I might be making a trip to the genius bar.

10. Temmy macrumors newbie

I deleted it through it's own uninstaller... I tried it the first way and that didn't work at all.

A lot of times just dragging an Application to the Trash doesn't remove much from the computer if the program itself has an uninstaller.

11. shaunymac thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought office had its own uninstaller, but I didint see it.

Looks like im going to have to undo some of the mess I created:)

12. Temmy macrumors newbie

Another recommendation that "seemed" to help.

Download and run Font Nuke. What it does exactly... Don't know for sure, but it resets the font caches or something and so far... it fixed the problem... I'll come back as soon to say if it still works or not.

13. Temmy macrumors newbie

...Nope didn't work...

AHHHHHHHH

Only thing that seems to be working is if I restart the computer... and this only happens if the power charger isn't plugged in, otherwise it's fine...

14. Temmy macrumors newbie

More details.

Apple has admitted to this problem happening due to Driver issues with Nvidia, and it seems to happen more with the newer 15" ones.

They of course... don't seem to be doing **** about it.

I have found another solution... I have tested it out for a bit (not too long) and it once again "seems to work."

Like I said before, the problem only occurs when the Mac is running off Battery Power only, and has been put to sleep (closing the cover) many times.

What I did was go into my Macs HD, go to Library, and Click and drag the Preferences folder into the trash BUT DO NOT DELETE IT.. I rebooted and copied it back... at least I think it did, it said I couldn't... o_O because the folder was back in it's spot again. But whatever, it seems to be working now. If I post again, hopefully it will be to confirm it... hopefully.

15. Temmy macrumors newbie