Safari - .co.uk key

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by casjohnr, Jun 16, 2013.

1. casjohnr macrumors regular

In iOs 7 now that the web address and search have been merged, there is a button on the keyboard for completing the end of a URL.

Since I have a UK iPhone the key seems to be set by default to .co.uk which is annoying considering 90% of websites I visit end in .com!

I know you can hold the key down for the various options but is there a way to set a default?

2. marcococo macrumors regular

marcococo

I feel you.. Plus I keep on hitting .co.uk instead of the space bar. This is so annoying!!!

3. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I'd submit it to Apple. Obviously, someone at Apple felt that .co.uk was used more than .com. The only way I can find to default it back to .com is to go to Settings-General-International and change the region format to United States. But then you lose the UK date formatting and it defaults to $, which is not really acceptable.

Or you could just use Chrome, for now. :)

4. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

If you turn on the us keyboard and hit the little globe icon on the keyboard it'll change .co.uk to .com. It shouldn't make it the default keyboard. Not a true fix but its an option.

5. seble macrumors 6502a

Let's hope this is fixed further down the line!

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Excuse me if I've misunderstood, but are you complaining that you're using a UK phone in the US and that the web key defaults to ".co.uk"?

As someone living in the UK, that isn't a bug, that's a feature as far as I'm concerned.

That said, it'd be nice to have the option to set it to what the user wants.

7. quackquackapp macrumors newbie

Easy fix is to change your region settings to Australia. You still get standard time but lose the pounds

8. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Just change the keyboard layout from English (UK) to English. This should fix it!

9. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

+1 for the annoyance of hitting the .co.uk button rather than space. :mad:

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

You've missed the point entirely.

11. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

It doesn't seem overly complex.

The keyboard in Safari defaults to .co.uk which as a UK resident I prefer.

I also would have no issue with Apple introducing the option for the user to choose the default and perhaps change it to .com

What's not to get?

12. rhaleuk macrumors member

HOLD down on .co.uk and you'll get options for .com etc.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They've changed a feature after 6 years that was designed to be a frictionless shortcut for users.

Now people are finding that something they do so frequently no longer works the same.

While it might have made sense originally to have it as ".co.uk" (or the local equivalent), changing it now is perhaps a bad idea.

14. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

Hitting it instead of space when typing in a search is annoying, but I guess I'll get used to hitting the screen further to the left for a space.

But more annoying, I find, is when manually typing in a URL. For example, this site, before was "forums" [full stop] "macrumors" [tap .com]

But now, how do I type the period? If I double tap the space bar I then have to delete the space it puts after the full stop. Holding the .com button doesn't provide the option for a period key in the same way that holding period on the iOS 6 keyboard would provide the .com options.

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I agree - please all submit it as a bug report to Apple, because it's really annoying.

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I'm confused by this. I don't have iOS 7 installed so bear with me. In iOS 6, in the address bar, holding period does NOT give you 'the .com options.' Along the bottom you have three buttons, period, slash and .com. Holding .com gives you the other top level domains and holding period gives you the choice of an elipsis.

What does the keyboard for the new omnibar look like? Surely there's a period key somewhere that you can use?

edit: also, are you saying when you hold the new '.co.uk' button, the .com option doesn't come with a period?

17. qtaran111 macrumors member

What he's saying is basically nonsense. In Safari in iOS 7 to manually type in "forums.macrumors.com", tap in the search/address bar and type "forums", then hit the numerical key (123, bottom left) and type "." and then the rest.