Safari command-Q

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Yr Blues, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I hope they bring the command-Q quit warning.

Sometimes I'm watching a video or I have a page up where I'm filling out a form and I accidentally command-Q quit. It gives me no warning and I have to fill out my form again or find the place in the video I'm watching where I was last.

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

3. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

The link above has to be done for Every program, which is a bit annoying.
    I really recommend the free software https://qblocker.com

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Did you read the thread title?
    The original poster wanted a solution for only 1 application Safari, hence my suggestion.

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I hope they never put a warning there. I use Cmd+Q as a shortcut (emphasis on SHORT). I've never ever pressed it accidentally.

6. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

You saved my life, brother (or sister)! I'm a happy camper! I'm pressing command-Q right now! No accidents!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2017 ---
    Thanks for this app. I'll use both users' helpful tips.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2017 ---
    Some of us aren't perfect.

7. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have never seen a Command-Q warning for any app. What am I doing wrong? When I Command-Q, I want it to quit, period.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Personally, I agree. I have seen it for a couple of apps and it's annoying; my thought process is something like "YES, I want to quit; that's why I pressed Quit!"

I wouldn't complain about a system-wide preference for it though, and it seems that the QBlocker app listed above has filled that void.

9. chabig, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017

chabig macrumors 68040

I agree. That's one of my peaves about Windows...having to confirm so many things, and selecting Print only to have a subsequent popup tell me that the document was sent to the printer.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You should see my work PC. "You just connected a device to the headphone port." Yeah, I kinda noticed...

Meanwhile my home PC is used for a single app, which is an open-source product that gets an update pretty much every day. This means that virtually every time I open it Windows pops up and tells me that "SmartScreen" has blocked the app and am I sure I want to run it? So I went into the options and disabled SmartScreen. Two seconds later I get a "SmartScreen is disabled; click here to turn it back on" popup. o_O

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

IMO they should follow Chrome and add an option to enable if required. This way it's up to the user and for those who need it can simply turn it on.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

Not going to happen. Apple doesn't add every option dreamt up by engineers or users. It clutters the UI--see Windows.