Safari constantly crashing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MaxxTraxx, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Is this some kind of joke Apple threw in with 5.0? Safari is crashing every 5 minutes when viewing web pages, this is unacceptable. Only have had this problem since upgrading to 5.0.

iPad (V1 32GB) running 5.0

So far, I've cleared the cache and history and it still crashes constantly.

2. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Mine crashes but only about once a week and i use my iPad 2 daily.

4. MaxxTraxx thread starter macrumors 6502

5. ctboys macrumors newbie

mine is fine.very fast...maybe we must keep apps that run behind close

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah it crashes quite a bit...

My Safari crashed all the time, even on iOS 4 though.

I'm betting it's an iPad 1 + iOS5 issue rather than just iOS5.

Anyone's iPad 2 have crashing issues?

7. iPutz macrumors member

Yes, iPad 2 here and it only has been crashing since the last upgrade. Until then it was stable as a rock

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Hmm, I have an iPad 2 and recall maybe Safari crashes once recently. I haven't noticed it happening other than that time.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have to say, if I REALLY think about it..............

Given the amount of actual time I physically use my iPad and the amount of times, during this short period that an app just stops and dumps me back to the desktop, if we are calling that a crash.

Then my iPad is about the most unstable bit of computing I've owned since I had a Commodore Amiga.

I've never owned any PC, for example, that bombs me out of a program, given the small amount of time I'm using the device, as the iPad does.

It's pretty poor considering how limited access apps have to hardware that should be able to cause crashes.

10. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

I mostly use Atomic web browser, and it crashes often too. I think it has more to do with lack of RAM and poor error handling than bugs in the program. Of course, you could call crashing when you run out of memory a bug too. But the iPad-1 has been like this since day one, with only 256MB, maybe you're just noticing it more now. As BB King said: the thrill is gone.

Nah, I'm still thrilled with my iPad.

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

My iPad2 had been crashing a lot since the las OS upgrade. If you go into Settings > About > Diagnostics and Usage I bet you will find many low memory issues. Checking these I can see exactly where Sarfari was 'jettisined' (crashed).

I found a thread on here from a year ago about optimizing memory for the ipad1. One suggestion was to turn off Spotlight Search. I had already done all the other suggestions: clear cashe, delete data and cookies, reboot, reset, I even did a restore to factory settings and completely rebuilt mine from scratch. Nothing worked until I disabled Spotlight helpers. It might help if someone wants to try it. So far, about 3 weeks or so, and I have only had a couple of crashes.