Safari cookies issue in iOS 9

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by ardchoille50, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I updated to iOS 9 and the only issue I can see this far is with Safari cookie settings.

I cleared all cookies and website data. Set the cookie setting to 'Always block'. Loaded a dozen or so sites. Opened the cookies and data list in Settings to find many third-party cookies and data listed. It should still be empty after setting to 'Always block, shouldn't it?

I set the setting to 'Allow for sites I visit' and logged into a few sites. I manually closed Safari, set the setting back to 'Always block' and reopened Safari to the sites I had previously logged into and found that I was still logged in to all of them. Since all cookies are blocked, shouldn't that prevent sites from checking for a login cookie?

I also found that deleting all of the third-party cookies and data seems to have logged me out of everything despite not touching those specific login cookies and data.

I tried a few other things and none of the cookie settings seem to have any effect in Safari in iOS 9 on my iPhone 6.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or is this a case of a Safari data handling bug?

2. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I found a fix for this problem. I installed a couple content blockers from the App Store and those cookie and data entries have not returned. And, webpages load blazing fast now!

Of course, I have white listed this website so the ads are still displayed :)

Thank you, Apple, for allowing content blocking in iOS 9!