Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Safari | Preferences | Privacy | Cookies and Website data | Allow from current website only

I was expecting that, with this setting in place, it would cut down on the number of cookies stored on my computer. But those cookies keep on growing, including a ton of them for domains that I've never intentionally visited.

Any ideas? In the days when I was using Internet Explorer, the option to store session cookies only seemed to do the trick. Once your session was over, the cookie was gone. Which seems quite different to the effects of the setting above.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Solution:
Download "Safari Cookies", install it, and use it to manage which cookies you wish to be retained, and which you wish to be removed each time Safari closes ...

LV426

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Solution:
Download "Safari Cookies", install it, and use it to manage which cookies you wish to be retained, and which you wish to be removed each time Safari closes ...

I'm sure such utilities exist, but why should I have to do that to perform a simple and common function employed by other browsers: session cookies only. If that were implemented correctly, cookies would only hang around for the duration of a session (typically 20 minutes of inactivity). After that they should auto delete.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"If that were implemented correctly, cookies would only hang around for the duration of a session (typically 20 minutes of inactivity). After that they should auto delete."

It doesn't matter how you think Safari should operate.
Safari operates the way it operates, and that is that.
You could send an email to Tim Cook about it, perhaps that will help.

If you want to control cookies properly in Safari, use the solution I've offered.
It WILL do what you need.

Otherwise.....

LV426

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
It doesn't matter how you think Safari should operate.
Safari operates the way it operates, and that is that.
You could send an email to Tim Cook about it, perhaps that will help.

I'll submit a bug report because it doesn't operate how it says it does. Despite selecting the option to only store cookies from the current website only, it stores many cookies from other domains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.