Safari Crashed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hexonxonx, Aug 23, 2007.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yikes! I was on gap.com ordering clothes to get ready for my vacation this coming week and Safari crashed and completly reset all my browser settings.

I had to use my XP laptop to complete my order in the website because Safari crashed everytime.

I did have popups blocked on the site so could that be why Safari crashed? :mad:

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Could be anything that caused it. Have a look in the activity monitor under window. Has happened to me once or twice but on the super massive whole its not a problem, go have a shot of internet explorer 7 for a few days!!!

Start it back up and forget about it unless it becomes a massive crashes everytime you do something problem!!

Your getting new clothes and going on holiday as well, some people have all the luck!!! :)

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Well I got so tired of my browser always crashing under XP and that made me get the MBP. I went a whole month and a half without my Safari crashing once that I was so shocked when it happened. I was really starting to think it was crash proof but it goes to show you how much better a Mac is.

4. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

hehe, wasn't that what Apple wanted in the first place? Make Safari look good in Windows but buggy enough to make you wish you had a mac instead of a pc. Clever. ;)

5. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

LOL That's what I was thinking!

Interestingly enough though, I was surfing the net off and on tonight for a few hours and when I clicked on the link to this site on my bookmarks bar, Safari crashed again. I clicked on the reopen button and it reopened, but it froze and nothing happened. Force closed Safari and it's working once again. :confused:

As soon as I posted this message, Safari crashed again while I was trying to figure out why my spelling settings under edit in Safari are no longer selectable, they are greyed out and my spelling mistakes are no longer underlined like I want them to be.

What can I do to fix the spelling problem?

EDIT: I got the spelling settings back, had to reset Safari.

6. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

Hmm, sorry to hear about the mishaps you're having with Safari, it seems to be happening in both Windows and OS X, is that correct?

I would try to turn off the spelling feature to see if it makes any difference.
    Then try to install another browser to see if it is Safari specific. It could be Firefox, Camino, etc.
    If all fail, maybe a complete software reinstall is needed. I am sure there are other steps to be taken before coming to that, I just got my mac 2 months ago, so far so good. I'm not sure if I have the spelling feature turned on. I haven't touched it yet.

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've found several links which either cause Safari to crash every time or (as is the case when I try to click the link for the latest version of Skype) Safari takes up 120-130% of CPU cycles (dual processor, obviously), and it takes quite a while to be able to force-quit it as the system is so slow.

8. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I don't have Windows installed on this MBP at all, I have two XP laptops if I want Windows. This is strictly OS X. I refuse to reinstall or even think about it, I have too much on here now. Oh well, it seems ok since the crash a few hours ago after resetting Safari.

Yes, sadly there are some sites that weren't coded very well with Safari in mind. I'm not gonna worry about it too much now, obviously there was some weird coding on the gap.com site and it messed with my browser enough to where I had to reset it.

I still love my MBP!

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

With the 3.0.3beta, I've had few crashes. But any time I try to save a linked Form as pdf from most any gov't site's page, like this one, it crashes. I've sent in several reports to Apple about it.