Safari Crashes (a lot!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by winterdude010, Apr 5, 2008.

1. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

With the Safari 3.1 update I have found that Safari is crashing all the time. It doesn't matter what I'm doing...I could be simply clicking on a link or waiting for a video to load. 80% of the time is says the crash was caused by the "sxobjc plugin". What is this plugin for? Is there a way I can fix this?

2. electro-boy macrumors newbie

Like wise.

Ive recently started getting these problems. Not only with safari but with iPhoto and Limewire not to mention many other free apps.

Im running a 1.8 ghz macbook with a 60 gb hard drive. It is reaching full capacity (less than five gb remaining) at which point apple say to expect unexpected restarts which I had assumed was the cause for this.

Anyone else having problems?

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Post a crashlog? Someone more experienced may be able to help you pin down exactly what's causing the crash.

4. electro-boy macrumors newbie

Better...

...Mine has got.

It seems now that safari will only crash when something strenuous is attempted, streaming video, playing flash games etc etc.

Anyone else?

5. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

crashing frequently

Safari has gotten to the point where it is crashing on me almost daily. I feel like I'm back to Internet Explorer! What is the deal? I've switched to using Firefox for the time being. I really prefer Safari, but these crashes are ridiculous.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

Mine also seems to be crashing a bit more; but everytime I've looked at the crash logs, the issue has been Flash, not safari itself.

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Mine crashes at least once a day. Switched to FF.

8. electro-boy macrumors newbie

Glad to know I'm not alone.

I know that firefox does everything that safari can and more but still. Its not the same, is it.

Im judging by the fact that you have 2TB hard drive, its not my lack of space thats causing the problems then.

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Tap tap, is this thing on?

Crashlogs! Many many crashes are diagnosable and fixable! Just complaining doesn't get crashes fixed.

10. electro-boy macrumors newbie

Im sorry, as my post count says, im a newbie.

Do I just copy it and post it here or is it much more complicated than this?

I should have asked before.

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Wrapping it in code tags ([ code ] without the spaces) is probably a good idea for maintaining formatting. Or pastebin it and link to that.

12. electro-boy macrumors newbie

http://pastebin.com/ma20b903

Ok, I think thats right. Should be the last time it crashed, but I took it from safari crash log rather than actually waiting for it to do it again.

13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

<edit> This is from 2007... you sure you got the most recent? </edit>

Well... you're running an old OS version with an old Safari version and an old Flash version and you have a SIMBL hack (tabstop) installed. Any of those could be responsible, but it's difficult to say which.

14. electro-boy macrumors newbie

http://pastebin.com/m5e5de975

Ok thats defiantly the most recent crash log.

It happened at 9.30 today.

I have tabstop running but it doesn't do anything and I don't really know how to uninstall it as apple made its feature default with safari 3.

15. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

OK, that one is much easier to read. Flash :(

Code:
    Thread 0 Crashed:
    0   ...romedia.Flash Player.plugin      0x1892d19c 0x1892b000 + 8604
    1   ...romedia.Flash Player.plugin      0x18cd544c Flash_EnforceLocalSecurity + 7716

I'm not entirely sure what to do about it (you could try the flash 10 beta, but there's no real guarantees on it helping); I'll run it past an Apple QA person I know, see if it's a common crash.

16. JavierP macrumors regular

17. stoutboy1 macrumors regular

stoutboy1

All of my browsers crash and I think it is Flash related. That said I don't think I going out there to far to asume that most mac users have flash installed. Why isn't there 10 million posts with this issue why is flash crashing such a small number of computers.

If any of you that are having this problem want to email me a listof programs you have installed so we can compare and see if there is something in common that is cuasing this issue send me a message. It is driving me crazy.

That said, I had been using flash blocker on firefox and it never crashed after that... I just have to play every flash item i was interested in. I have been using FF3 for about 2 weeks without flash blocker because its not compatible and it hasnt crashed yet. Safari still crashed all the time.

18. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Well

My safari has not crashed once in .3, but Mail has not run as well....

19. electro-boy macrumors newbie

To be honest mine has been fine for a while now, Other than downloading a program called iceclean and using it to clean out all caches, repair permissions etc etc I really haven't done anything.

After I got to the stage that I was having safari quit on me 3 times a day it slowly got better.

Haven't had any software updates in a while though so maybe an osx update is due.

20. eksimo macrumors newbie

it might be the application smart scroll, as described in here at discussions.apple.com:

»from the crash report it looks like "sxobjc" is part of an application enhancer that you [still] have installed called "smart scroll".
    i think you should go through the procedure to remove that application enhancer and any other plug-ins, at least temporarily, to see if that resolves it.«