Safari crashes CONSTANTLY

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael D, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Michael D macrumors newbie

Safari has been crashing for me every time I open it. It's mostly on sites like YouTube, which leads me to believe that it's a flash problem. When I open the page it just freezes up and the pinwheel just keeps spinning and spinning. I noticed these problems on my MacBook after I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and now they are arising again on my recently purchased Mac Pro (also running SL). I'm running latest version of SL, Safari, and Flash.

2. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

I have been experiencing these SAME problems. It seems like almost ALL video sites give safari a brain fart. I've sent HUNDREDS of complaints through the bug report system telling them how ridiculous it is. I have no idea why either. My system is running fine in all other aspects. It's a recent problem too. Maybe 2-3 months now? I at the point where I'm gonna just stop using it. Every day I average 3 crashes. Sometimes more, hardly ever less.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Which video sites? From Leopard to Snow Leopard, Safari has never ever crashed once for me. I get beachballs, but only on Flash sites. Try resetting Safari.

4. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I agree...i've never had so many spinning beach balls until the past few mos. Try opening a new tab..mine sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to load top sites. Ridiculous.

5. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

add that to the list.

reseting and reinstallin safari = no solution =(

6. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

I had the same problem, then I did the following and reduced the problem quite a bit (although not solved completely):

1. repair disk permissions on the boot drive
    2. inside safari, re-install flash from the flash site
    3. repair permissions again.
    4. reboot

Hope this helps!

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

To me this sounds like a lot of stupid advice because how did your flash files get corrupt? and what does the disk permissions have to do with flash?

If you have the latest version of flash installed then whats the purpose of reinstalling it?

8. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I think there's an underlying problem too - because I have more problems with Firefox as well. (locking up, beach balls, etc)

9. bwbrs macrumors newbie

same problems here too. they started popping up A LOT after i installed the latest iTunes. any sites with a video will crash ANY browser i try to use. and now my gmail page crashes when i try to exit!

10. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Crashes here too, plus that bloody beach ball spends more time on my screen than at the sea side, I'm starting to thin that Snow Leopard is looking like a load of crap. My system has slowed down considerably and more annoying is I used to burn my monthly company webcast to dvd to watch in comfort rather than in front of the screen in the office. What used to take 1hr 57 mints to burn a 42 minute report now takes 2 hours 49 minutes.

11. ETID macrumors regular

I am having exactly the same problems. It doesn't matter which web browser I use they all crash doing fairly light browsing.

I've tried reinstalling flash and resetting firefox and safari with no success. I really don't want to have to reinstall snow leopard as I only did that three weeks ago!

12. snakelda macrumors 6502

The only website it freezes on me is youtube.com. I just go on youtubes main page and it just has the little spinning thing. Anyway to solve it?

13. LPZ macrumors 65816

The advice might not solve the problem, but it's not stupid. For a long time, Adobe products like Flash Player have installed with incorrect permissions, and this has led to many Safari-related crashes. Repair permissions, and there's a good chance that lots of Adobe-related files will have their permissions fixed.

14. ETID macrumors regular

Well I removed Flash and its library files, repaired permissions, downloaded and installed flash, repaired permissions and restarted safari.

All works well now. Whether this makes logical sense or not, it worked and now it stops crashing.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its mind boggling how a plug-in sooo bad! is the global standard!