Safari Crashes Everytime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJAKO, May 7, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

So here's my issue:

Today I turn on my Mac to find that Safari doesn't work.

What I mean is this... Whenever I try to open Safari my homepage (Yahoo) does not finish loading. Progress bar goes about 3/4 of the way then it stops responding all together. I thought it was maybe the domain, so I clicked on a few sites from emails that I had. Same thing with them.

When I turn off my internet connection completely I can then access Safari enough to edit preferences and what not. Even after resetting Safari / cleaning cookies, I still had the issue. I had tried restarting my computer, shutting it down all together, unplugging any external devices I had to it.

Nothing worked.. I don't have any other browser on my Mac at the moment to try anything else out. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Have you tried using Safari logged in as another user? If you don't have another user set up on your computer I would create a test user and give it a try. There may be something corrupt inside your user that is making it do that. I hope this helps.

3. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just created a guest account and it worked fine. Any idea on how to fix this on my admin account now?

4. JavierP macrumors regular

Try removing the Safari configuration plist file, it may be corrupted.
    The file is in Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

5. e.m. macrumors 6502

if that doesn't work, the safari folder in the user library. instead of trashing it, i would move it to your desktop or somewhere to see if the fix works.

pretty sure removing the plist and/or the safari folder will fix it.

6. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the possible fixes you guys. Tried both of them. Still loads the page then hangs up right at the end and I get a beach ball with "Application not Responding"

7. e.m. macrumors 6502

weird. do other apps that require the internet (mail, ichat, itunes store, etc) function correctly?

8. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes everything else works fine. This just started happening today too. I haven't made any system changes or anything from last night till now. The weird thing is that the webpage will load everything. So my home page, Yahoo will load almost everything. The progress bar will say like 28 of 29 items loaded...etc. Locks up right after that, for any site I try to go to (which has to be done by clicking a link via Adium, or email)

9. e.m. macrumors 6502

are you using a proxy server?

try resetting safari after backing up your bookmarks and any other settings you may want to restore later. you should already have these if you moved your plist and safari folder from earlier.

by the way, the safari folder i was talking about above is in your user library, not user library preferences. oops.

10. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried resetting safari last night with no luck. I even redownloaded safari from apple.com and it still doesn't work

What the hell could be the issue lol

11. e.m. macrumors 6502

bizarre. you don't have any safari plugins installed, do you?

if you can't pinpoint the cause, although it's an overkill, you may want to reinstall your system to resolve the issue. the time and effort it'll take to reinstall your entire system may be easier than trying to pinpoint this issue, believe it or not.

i would run something like onyx or applejack if you're on tiger before the reinstall, though. even though i suggested it, i do think a reinstall is a little excessive.

12. JavierP macrumors regular

Do you have 3rd party internet plugins or input managers that are specific to that account (Look in the home folder Library/Internet Plugins, Library/Input Managers)?
    Can you post the crash log? (It's in Library/Logs/CrashReporter)

13. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

No plugins. I wouldn't mind reinstalling the OS if I didn't just do it 2 months ago. I ran Tiger and then Leopard fine for over a year and a half and just did a clean install not too long ago.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Disk Utility: repair permissions

Set homepage to something else and see if that works. Yahoo is buggy.

What version of Safari and what OS?

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Seen this, and this fix works for us....
    Log in, trash the safari .plist in User > Preferences AND the Safari folder in User > Library. (Can drag to desktop if you'd like)
    DO NOT start Safari, restart first.

16. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already repaired permissions. Tried different homepages. Nothing, even google locks up.

Did what yous said above, restarted computer and it still did not fix this.

17. NP3 macrumors regular

try downloading the latest nightly build of webkit (because it seems you have a problem rendering pages, not with the program itself?).

http://nightly.webkit.org/

18. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

But Safari works on a guest account on my laptop. So webkit should be working correctly then, I assume.

19. e.m. macrumors 6502

right, so it's something in your user account for sure.

20. NP3 macrumors regular

my bad, I looked at that part, didn't put two and two together.

I'm really perplexed...are you going to try making a new admin account and copying folders over?

21. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I found out what it was lol...

I guess I did have one 1 plugin that I forgot about. The 1Password safari plugin seemed to cause it. When I disabled it, Safari booted up fine.

Not too sure why in a period of a day with zero updates to either it would stop working...

Just re-enabled the plugin and it works fine now. Guess maybe it was corrupted?

Really appreciate all the help guys, thanks :)

22. e.m. macrumors 6502

nice. congratulations.

23. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Saved myself from a new install. Thank god