Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
So here's my issue:

Today I turn on my Mac to find that Safari doesn't work.

What I mean is this... Whenever I try to open Safari my homepage (Yahoo) does not finish loading. Progress bar goes about 3/4 of the way then it stops responding all together. I thought it was maybe the domain, so I clicked on a few sites from emails that I had. Same thing with them.

When I turn off my internet connection completely I can then access Safari enough to edit preferences and what not. Even after resetting Safari / cleaning cookies, I still had the issue. I had tried restarting my computer, shutting it down all together, unplugging any external devices I had to it.

Nothing worked.. I don't have any other browser on my Mac at the moment to try anything else out. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Have you tried using Safari logged in as another user? If you don't have another user set up on your computer I would create a test user and give it a try. There may be something corrupt inside your user that is making it do that. I hope this helps.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Have you tried using Safari logged in as another user? If you don't have another user set up on your computer I would create a test user and give it a try. There may be something corrupt inside your user that is making it do that. I hope this helps.

Just created a guest account and it worked fine. Any idea on how to fix this on my admin account now?

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Just created a guest account and it worked fine. Any idea on how to fix this on my admin account now?

Try removing the Safari configuration plist file, it may be corrupted.
The file is in Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Try removing the Safari configuration plist file, it may be corrupted.
The file is in Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

if that doesn't work, the safari folder in the user library. instead of trashing it, i would move it to your desktop or somewhere to see if the fix works.

pretty sure removing the plist and/or the safari folder will fix it.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Thanks for the possible fixes you guys. Tried both of them. Still loads the page then hangs up right at the end and I get a beach ball with "Application not Responding"

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Thanks for the possible fixes you guys. Tried both of them. Still loads the page then hangs up right at the end and I get a beach ball with "Application not Responding"

weird. do other apps that require the internet (mail, ichat, itunes store, etc) function correctly?

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
weird. do other apps that require the internet (mail, ichat, itunes store, etc) function correctly?

Yes everything else works fine. This just started happening today too. I haven't made any system changes or anything from last night till now. The weird thing is that the webpage will load everything. So my home page, Yahoo will load almost everything. The progress bar will say like 28 of 29 items loaded...etc. Locks up right after that, for any site I try to go to (which has to be done by clicking a link via Adium, or email)

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
are you using a proxy server?

try resetting safari after backing up your bookmarks and any other settings you may want to restore later. you should already have these if you moved your plist and safari folder from earlier.

by the way, the safari folder i was talking about above is in your user library, not user library preferences. oops.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
are you using a proxy server?

try resetting safari after backing up your bookmarks and any other settings you may want to restore later. you should already have these if you moved your plist and safari folder from earlier.

by the way, the safari folder i was talking about above is in your user library, not user library preferences. oops.

I tried resetting safari last night with no luck. I even redownloaded safari from apple.com and it still doesn't work

What the hell could be the issue lol

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
I tried resetting safari last night with no luck. I even redownloaded safari from apple.com and it still doesn't work

bizarre. you don't have any safari plugins installed, do you?

if you can't pinpoint the cause, although it's an overkill, you may want to reinstall your system to resolve the issue. the time and effort it'll take to reinstall your entire system may be easier than trying to pinpoint this issue, believe it or not.

i would run something like onyx or applejack if you're on tiger before the reinstall, though. even though i suggested it, i do think a reinstall is a little excessive.

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008

Do you have 3rd party internet plugins or input managers that are specific to that account (Look in the home folder Library/Internet Plugins, Library/Input Managers)?
Can you post the crash log? (It's in Library/Logs/CrashReporter)

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
bizarre. you don't have any safari plugins installed, do you?

if you can't pinpoint the cause, although it's an overkill, you may want to reinstall your system to resolve the issue. the time and effort it'll take to reinstall your entire system may be easier than trying to pinpoint this issue, believe it or not.

i would run something like onyx or applejack if you're on tiger before the reinstall, though. even though i suggested it, i do think a reinstall is a little excessive.

No plugins. I wouldn't mind reinstalling the OS if I didn't just do it 2 months ago. I ran Tiger and then Leopard fine for over a year and a half and just did a clean install not too long ago.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Disk Utility: repair permissions

Set homepage to something else and see if that works. Yahoo is buggy.

What version of Safari and what OS?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Seen this, and this fix works for us....
Log in, trash the safari .plist in User > Preferences AND the Safari folder in User > Library. (Can drag to desktop if you'd like)
DO NOT start Safari, restart first.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Disk Utility: repair permissions

Set homepage to something else and see if that works. Yahoo is buggy.

What version of Safari and what OS?
Already repaired permissions. Tried different homepages. Nothing, even google locks up.

Seen this, and this fix works for us....
Log in, trash the safari .plist in User > Preferences AND the Safari folder in User > Library. (Can drag to desktop if you'd like)
DO NOT start Safari, restart first.

Did what yous said above, restarted computer and it still did not fix this.

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
my bad, I looked at that part, didn't put two and two together.

I'm really perplexed...are you going to try making a new admin account and copying folders over?

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Ok, I found out what it was lol...

I guess I did have one 1 plugin that I forgot about. The 1Password safari plugin seemed to cause it. When I disabled it, Safari booted up fine.

Not too sure why in a period of a day with zero updates to either it would stop working...

Just re-enabled the plugin and it works fine now. Guess maybe it was corrupted?

Really appreciate all the help guys, thanks :)

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Ok, I found out what it was lol...

I guess I did have one 1 plugin that I forgot about. The 1Password safari plugin seemed to cause it. When I disabled it, Safari booted up fine.

Not too sure why in a period of a day with zero updates to either it would stop working...

Just re-enabled the plugin and it works fine now. Guess maybe it was corrupted?

Really appreciate all the help guys, thanks :)

nice. congratulations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.