Safari crashes, hangs when I swipe back

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by NovemberWhiskey, Oct 10, 2013.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

After I installed Mavericks, I had several problems, most of which were resolved with a few restarts (e.g. couldn't swipe up/down in Chrome, couldn't swipe back/forward in Chrome).

However, I still can't swipe back in Safari without it crashing (it starts the swipe back animation wherein it shows the previous page, but only 1/18th of it, and then hangs there and doesn't respond).

Safari opens just fine, and I can click on a bookmark in the sidebar and have it load fine.

Sometimes the Sidebar also has the webpage image overlayed on it.

Something is def wrong. Can I just reinstall Safari, or do I have to do the whole OS?

2. NovemberWhiskey, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I bit the bullet and just reinstalled Mavericks. It seems to have fixed the problem so far.

Hope this helps anyone else.

*Edit*

It fixed Safari, but Chrome stopped working right.

Don't know what is going on. Will reinstall a third time.

3. MeUnix macrumors 6502

You could just do a re-install of Chrome instead of re-installing the entire OS X Mavericks.

Also, for what it is worth, on my college website (where I access the library and other resources) Google Chrome browser is completely incompatible (IT is working on a patch now that will fix it) with it since their update 30 (I think, I am not sure as I do not use Chrome browser).

- Kyle

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The swiping thing is a bug, reinstalling won't help. I see it on occasion. I have to close that tab completely and open a new one.

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1622634

So after 3 reinstalls, I found that this is just a bug that even Apple knew about. In the release notes a couple of DPs ago, they said that scrolling would be affected.

Nothing to do with Chrome or Safari apparently.

Hope they release an update. I don't want to have to go back to mountain lion.

6. Dr. Taylor macrumors newbie

Im having this is exact same problem and its extremely annoying. Whats even more annoying are the people who don't read the problems were experiencing and are so quick to say this or that and its fixed...I have resetted pram, log out, logged in, reinstalled mavericks, reinstalled chrome, none has worked, it works only temporarily, just long enough to make you think it might have worked, only to come back and annoy you somemore.

7. saha-med macrumors regular

Yeap ill ditto this. Swiping back disables the scroll function of the browser you are on.

I did the swipe back on chrome, there my scroll function is gone. I fired up safari, scrolling was fine. Did the swipe back and scrolling function was lost too.