Safari crashes on Apple site

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
Has anyone one else had this problem: Safari 1.3 (v312) crashes about a second after the apple home page loads. Other pages on Apple's site work fine. This has been for about a week now, since the iTunes promotion has been up.

Any suggestions? s.n.goat

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
superninjagoat said:
Has anyone one else had this problem: Safari 1.3 (v312) crashes about a second after the apple home page loads. Other pages on Apple's site work fine. This has been for about a week now, since the iTunes promotion has been up.

Any suggestions? s.n.goat
Has anyone else noticed the irony here? :eek:

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
JonMaker said:
Has anyone else noticed the irony here? :eek:
Yup, there certainly is irony. If I want to go to apple's home page, I have to use IE. Talk about sucking. I'm going to wait to see if the problem goes away when they change their homepage again. s.n.goat

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
For some reason, Safari 2.0 crashes (as in, disappears - it doesn't 'hang' or anything) whenever I try to access the "Just Added" page from the Dashboard Widgets section of Apple.com. It usually fixes itself if I reopen Safari and try again.

It's actually becoming quite frustrating, I never have this problem with any other page on the whole of the World Wide Web. Crazy.

Tim.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I just noticed this problem myself. I am in a Poker tourny running a java app in one window, surfed to apple in another window and BAM! Bye bye tourny. Thanks Apple! Guessing it's a java thing.

Tiger, Safari 2.0

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
decksnap said:
I just noticed this problem myself. I am in a Poker tourny running a java app in one window, surfed to apple in another window and BAM! Bye bye tourny. Thanks Apple! Guessing it's a java thing.

Tiger, Safari 2.0
Interesting. Does it do it for you when you aren't running the java app?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Haven't tried it. I'm always playing poker. Have you noticed that if you browse to the Apple site in say, Explorer, the bottom middle graphics says 'Use Safari to make the most of this page' or some such. (Can't go there now, you know, don't want to crash!)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'll just throw in a vote that (on Safari 2.0, this is) neither of these things crash my browser. I think that it might be reparable. I think two steps are in order:

1) Try first -- I know you emptied cache and all, but if you have not used the "Reset Safari" option in the Safari menu, try this first.

2) If that does not work, you need to go on a plist hunting expedition. Export and save your bookmarks in case you lose them (just on the safe side). I think the file you want to trash is ~/library/preferences/com.apple.safari.plist, but there may be more. You should have Safari closed while you delete it, and then re-open Safari.