Safari crashes on launch after Security Update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toppa G's, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

On my 12" G4 PB, Safari has taken to crashing on launch after I installed Security Update 2008-007 last week. I've tried trashing the preference filess, etc. Even tried to trash Safari and redownload from Apple..when I try to run the installer, it crashes. :confused: Any ideas?

Thanks! :D

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like your system WebKit is corrupted. You can test this by downloading a nightly WebKit build from here, and running it. If it works but the regular Safari does not, then my theory is correct.

If that does turn out to be the cause, the best fix is to perform an Archive and Install of your system. Make SURE you choose the Preserve Users and Network Settings option when doing this - it'll save you a ton of hassle later, and should only be unchecked if you suspect a corrupt user account causing problems.

3. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try this when I get home this evening - seems plausible this may be the case. I checked using another user on the computer, and Safari didn't work there either, so it doesn't appear to be user-specific.

Thanks for the idea!

4. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Before you do an archive and install you can try to reinstall the 10.5.5 combo update.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The latest security update also has been crashing

Apple Remote Desktop

Also affecting battery? Now MBP turns off with >50% battery remaining. Have appointment with Genius Bar tomorrow.

6. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like your hunch was correct - I downloaded WebKit, and it appears to work. Checking now to see if the 10.5.5 updater will fix it, and if not, archive/install.

Thanks again for your help!