Safari crashes opening PDFs with latest Adobe Reader

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jng, May 8, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

This is driving me crazy. I've just downloaded and reinstalled the latest Adobe Reader. But Safari is still acting up. I see the watch icon instead of my mouse when I click on a link to a PDF. Then I just see a white screen and I end up haveing to force quit Safari.

Any idaes?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stop using the Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari?

~desu

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

and in order to achieve the above, delete the file AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the folder /Library/Internet Plug-ins (with Safari closed)

unless you really want the advanced toolbar stuff that the Adobe plugin provides, Safari's built-in pdf reader is much, much faster to load and a lot less flakey

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari is not using adobe's plugin by default, you sure thats what your safari is using?

5. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

How do I figure out which plugin Safari is using by default?
    I'm pretty sure it's Adobe, because last week viewing a PDF I had a new sidebar and I figured it was just the new reader. (I had been using my 12" pbook before that and it uses reader, but not the latest version).

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

AFAIK when you install the Reader it "helpfully" and quite possibly without asking you (although it's an Admin only access folder so it should ask you for an Admin password in order to do it), installs the browser plugin into Internet Plugins.

And the freeze-up is classically symptomatic of the Adobe plugin in any case.

Just shut Safari, delete (or move to the desktop if you're nervous) the plugin and re-start Safari.

it's in the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder BTW, not the Users/youraccount/Library/Internet Plug-ins folder

7. newmaccanada macrumors member

Try this. I had a similar problem with Acrobat Reader 8 crashing each time I tried to open a doc -- I realize that it's your Safari crashing, but this might be worth a try.

Find Acrobat Reader in Finder Applications. Go to Finder File Menu and click on Get Info. When you get the Adobe Reader Info, go down to plug ins and scroll until you find "Updateracro.plugin" -- uncheck.

This solved my problem with Acro Reader 8 crashing each time I opened a pdf.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Safari uses a Preview based plug-in by default. I believe under Preferences in Adobe 8 you can turn it off without having to delete the plug-in itself from your Library.

I much prefer using the Preview plug-in. If I need to really work on a PDF, I'll say it. I made a strong enough case to get Adobe Reader 8 taken off as the default PDF reader in my campus labs.

9. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

Thanks! I went into Reader and then preferences and unchecked everything related to Internet. And now Safari uses Preview again and everything loads quickly and nothing crashes.

Thanks for all the other advice too guys! I hestitated going into folders and deleting things because I'm an overly cautious person when it come to my mac :)

10. newmaccanada macrumors member

Glad this did the trick. I had this problem on my ibook when I updated to Acro Reader 8, but not on my imac. My ibook is in my office at school -- after a couple of days of frustration, not being able to open most pdf's (unless through preview), I even bit the bullet and bought (at a fairly low educ price, but still $100) Acrobat Pro. I really flipped when it had the exact same problem, crashing a couple of seconds after opening.

I found this solution through a Google search. Happy it was of use to someone else.:)

11. johnvos macrumors newbie