Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
OK, so we all know that Safari loves to crash, but I have this more serious problem happen at least once every couple of weeks -- Safari will crash maybe two to three times within an hour period, then totally lose cookie settings for ALL visited websites.

This means that I have to re-enter all of my login information for EVERY SINGLE SITE that I visit which is a true pain in the ass. I've tried restoring, I've tried everything.

I've had this problem dating back to the original firmware on my 1G 32GB iPod touch and still have the problem with my 2G 32GB iPod touch.

Is anyone else experience similar problems?

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I think your post title is funny. Your problem is not.

Safari rarely crashes on me, maybe I just have more conservative web surfing practices, or maybe there's a problem with your Touch. The only time it crashes is on AJAX type pages where there's a lot of in-page refreshing going on. I've never lost my cookies, either, although there is some kind of minor reset that happens when it crashes. Sounds like a bug to me, or like you're visiting sites that are causing the problem. Does it always crash on the same sites, or is it random? Has it always done it, or is it getting worse? Have you tried cleaning things out completely? Have you tried restoring?

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006

Safari rarely crashes on me, maybe I just have more conservative web surfing practices, or maybe there's a problem with your Touch. The only time it crashes is on AJAX type pages where there's a lot of in-page refreshing going on. I've never lost my cookies, either, although there is some kind of minor reset that happens when it crashes. Sounds like a bug to me, or like you're visiting sites that are causing the problem. Does it always crash on the same sites, or is it random? Has it always done it, or is it getting worse? Have you tried cleaning things out completely? Have you tried restoring?

It crashes on different sites at different times..

Apple Insider, eBay, Engadget, Mac Rumors, The Car Lounge... you name it. And I've had it happen with two or three windows open, and I've had it happen with just one window open.

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
The safari crashes more then vince vaughn and owen Wilson . That's the main reason why I'm taking my touch back to costco. It's getting so bad that I can't even type a sentence in the safari without it lagging then crashing on me. Eff u rotten apple.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
well, the crashes are a given -- but does anyone else have the cookie problem?

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I have not experienced the problems you have had with Safari. I had had a couple of crashes in the past but no more than what I would expect. I use mine alot for banking and web browsing daily.

Never lost cookies before but there was this one time, I got cookie crumbs all over my touch. I found that was really annoying :D

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The safari crashes more then vince vaughn and owen Wilson . That's the main reason why I'm taking my touch back to costco. It's getting so bad that I can't even type a sentence in the safari without it lagging then crashing on me. Eff u rotten apple.

Sounds like someone needs to reinstall. That's not typical behavior.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yes. This problem has happened to me about once a year ever since I've used Safari. But now, since this latest update (December 08, unrelated to the OP) it has happened several times (at least three) in a week. (One of them might have been related to an accidental power-down, though I would hope cookies could survive that anyway.)

I don't know that a crash is even necessary: Safari doesn't crash much at all (especially if I avoid Flash) but I still lose my cookies.

Leopard's Keychain recovers my logins pretty well, but that doesn't fix everything. Site prefs and progress in some games is lost, for instance.

Workarounds would be welcome.

Paintball36

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008

haha, was funny to me also.

And I've been using it all the time since I got it 2 days ago... Which isn't much, so I'll let ya know if it happens to me any time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.