Safari crashes then won't open....solution

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cdntac, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cdntac macrumors newbie

Hi,

Occasionally I run into the problem where my iMac crashes. If I also happen to have Safari open, when I reboot I cannot get the website that I was visiting at the time of the crash to open.

Not usually a problem since it's never happened while I was on my homepage.

Until today that is....

After that I was unable to get online using Safari. I could using Firefox but was unable to download a new Safari due to the Firefox "security settings/protocol" BS that I can't solve (another story as everyone knows). Safari would just spin and spin and then I would have to use the Force Quit application on it.

Long story short....I used Firefox and started searching online about how to get Safari to open again and came across this forum.

There were some solutions but none worked for me. Then it hit me...a simple solution to try....and it worked.

It can't be any easier...

Simply open up your Mac harddrive and find the history for Safari. Click on one of the websites you had visited before the crash and click on it.

It may ask what application to use to open --- obviously choose Safari.

Safari opened for me though it didn't open the webpage. However, I could choose one of my bookmarks (before everything was frozen --- no clicking was possible).

I clicked on one of my bookmarks, it opened the page and then I simply closed Safari (using "quit").

Now it's working fine again.

Hopefully this (long-winded) explanation helps a few people here.

Todd

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Thanks, I'm sure this will help a lot of people. You may also consider making it into a guide. :)

3. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately didnt help me. Any other ideas? This issue with safari sucks and I am so sick of firefox.