Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I have a late 2011 macbook pro running Lion and Safari is crashing when I open the 2nd or 3rd tab and start typing the website address. It produces the beach ball and the computer becomes very slow after that until I "force quit" Safari.

I tried resting safari but that didn't help.

Any idea?

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
I had a similar experience and repairing permissions seemed to help so far...

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Try resetting safari and checking every box, or every box you are comfortable with. I believe its in the "file" drop down, but I'm not at my machine so I can't remember.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for replying. Repairing disk permission seems to have solved it. Thanks again.

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
Repairing disk permission seems to have solved it.

You may want to repair your disk, I found that I needed to do that a few days later after repairing permissions.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
You may want to repair your disk, I found that I needed to do that a few days later after repairing permissions.

Safari was working well after repairing permissions. But today it started again causing the beach ball.

This always happens when I start to type in the address bar.

Any idea? Is there a way to reinstall safari ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Safari was working well after repairing permissions. But today it started again causing the beach ball.

This always happens when I start to type in the address bar.
I've seen this behavior with some sites. As a test, go to Safari > Preferences > Security and uncheck "Enable JavaScript". Then try opening the same sites in tabs. The sites probably won't display properly with JavaScript disabled, but they should come up without any beachballs or problems. If so, my guess is there's some JavaScript elements that are causing problems.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I've seen this behavior with some sites. As a test, go to Safari > Preferences > Security and uncheck "Enable JavaScript". Then try opening the same sites in tabs. The sites probably won't display properly with JavaScript disabled, but they should come up without any beachballs or problems. If so, my guess is there's some JavaScript elements that are causing problems.

Thanks for the reply. I cleared history and repaired disk permission and then I was able to browse for about a day without troubles. And then I had to follow the same procedure again. I will try what you suggested the next time if the problem comes again.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011

This problem is present again. I tried disabling them as you suggested but the problem still exists. I just noticed that creating a new tab is not necessary. This happens as soon as I start typing a letter in the address bar.

Any idea?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This problem is present again. I tried disabling them as you suggested but the problem still exists. I just noticed that creating a new tab is not necessary. This happens as soon as I start typing a letter in the address bar.

Any idea?
It's possible you have a problem with an extension. Try uninstalling all Safari extensions, restart your computer and try again. If the problem is gone, add the extensions back, one at a time, testing each time until you discover the extension that causes it. Post the results. If that doesn't help, we'll try something else.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
It's possible you have a problem with an extension. Try uninstalling all Safari extensions, restart your computer and try again. If the problem is gone, add the extensions back, one at a time, testing each time until you discover the extension that causes it. Post the results. If that doesn't help, we'll try something else.

Thanks for the quick reply. The only extension I had was adblock. I uninstalled it and restarted, now safari seems to be working fine. Previously I could not use the address bar at all.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply. The only extension I had was adblock. I uninstalled it and restarted, now safari seems to be working fine. Previously I could not use the address bar at all.
I don't know if that will fully resolve your issues, but many have reported problems with the AdBlock extension. You can also try GlimmerBlocker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.