Safari Crashes While In Landscape Mode

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by arftech, Nov 4, 2014.

1. arftech macrumors regular

arftech

I'm having an issue when my 6 Plus 128 GB phone is rotated to Landscape mode while using Safari it crashes and reverts back to the home screen. Very frustrating to say the least!

Anybody else?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Maybe you should have gotten the 64GB version because mine works fine! :p

3. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

Mine constantly crashes on landscape in Safari, and you can't click on any links when the phone is landscape. Watching a video in landscape causes a guaranteed crash. 64GB iPhone 6 Plus.

4. jwlbel macrumors regular

I am also having the same problem. I hope the next update fixes this problem.

5. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

I am also having the same problem and apple replace my 6+ on Sunday and I am still have the same problem. Diagnostic shows extensive crashing. So they gave me another phone but like I said I am still have the same issue here.

6. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Me too. 6 Plus 128 GB. The only thing that seems to work for me is to go to Settings Safari and then Clear History and Website Data. This works for a few days then I have to do it again. Maybe Safari can't handle all the open tabs that accumulate or something.

7. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Update I call the genius bar for the forth time after having my phone replace on the third visit. Because my phone was still crashing in landscape orientation. So the tech had me reset Safari and by doing that it deleted every web page etc. After wards he told me to do a hard reset. Since then I haven't experience any crashing in landscape orientation so far. Going on a week now no crashing. U guys might want to try this to see if it might cure the problem. The funny thing is that my wife 64gb iPhone 6 doesn't have this problem just the 6+. Maybe the software need some tweaking for the bigger screen or smothing. I hope Apple is working to fix this problem.

8. primolabo macrumors member

primolabo

in my case (6+ 128) Safari in landscape doesn't crash, but links on some websites are not active - I have to turn the phone to portraite to actually click them and then go back to landscape... hope it will be fixed soon, as I love surfing landscape on my phone.

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Yes, I have the same on my iPhone 6 Plus 128G. I have seen similar threads over on Apple support too.

If I clear the history (in setting) I can go for another few days before it crashes. Or if I manually close all the open tabs in Safari (this is, of course, a pain to do). Either approach will work for a couple days until, in my guess, I have too many open tabs again. Definitely a pain, but still liking the phone over all. Wonder if Apple could just limit the number of open tabs . . .

I have seen others doing DFU restores and even phone replacements and then having the problem show up again.

10. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

U also want to do a hard restart and go into settings and under cookies select this. My phone is going on 2weeks no crashing yet.

Attached Files:

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

thanks!! After the hard reset did you set up as new or restore from backup?

12. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

You can restore as new if u want to. But I restore from back up via iCloud or u can from iTunes as well.

13. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Awesome! Didn't know Apple added this option

14. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Yea I didn't know about this either. But man I have been a long time customer here at the Apple store at the Florida Mall in Orlando FL. My wife and 6 and 11 year old daughters did there IPad workshop there, I my self did a one to one class there with my late 2011 MacBook pro for one year. So we have come to know a lot of the employees there. And they have been really helpful to us over the years with all our devices.

15. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Thanks again for the tip! I have been having days of good results by just the change in Cookie setting. For now, I skipped the hard reset.

(Still an occasional crash, but then it works right away. In the past, I needed to clear history to get it working again. So this is more of my typical "Safari Crash" that I get occasionally on all my iPads and other iPhones . . .)

16. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

No problem

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just checking in . . . is your hard-reset fix still holding? Like the phone a lot, Safari glitch has been my only annoyance. Thanks!

18. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Well I had one one incident yesterday watching a go pro video where it quit and went back to home screen. So I power the phone of and back on so far so good. I think apple is working on this though so we sould see a permanent fix soon.

19. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Update:

Just an update if you are having the Safari Crash problem.

I have not had a crash since I changed the Block Cookies to 'Allow from current website' and also changed to 'Open Links in Background.'

Basically, I think Safari could not handle all the open tabs I would end up with over time. It took me a long time to notice that if I open Safari from a bookmark on my home screen it opens in a new tab. But if I open the link while in Safari, it replaces the content on the current open tab. Once I got to a certain number of open tabs Safari would start crashing. Now that I control the number of open tabs I have not had any stuttering or crashing at all.

20. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Yea thats what I think as well, it's not able to handle to many open tabs altoghter.