Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

germ war

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Saint Paul, MN
I had the occasional crash with Safari while running Panther, but now that I've upgraded to Tiger, the probably has increased ten-fold.

Safari is basically useless when there are tabs open. If I try to close one, it will crash. If I have multiple tabs open and I click a hyperlink, it will crash. When I quit the program, it will crash.

I tried all the troubleshooting suggestions in the Apple Support forums, but nothing is seeming to help alleviate the problem.

I did create a second user account, and it didn't seem to have any problems, so I'm suspecting I have some sort of file somewhere that's causing Safari to run strangely. Like I said, however, I tried everything suggested in the support forum, with no luck.

Any thoughts? Anyone else having any troubles since upgrading to Tiger? I'm running a 1.25ghz 15" G4 Aluminum Powerbook.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble with this! :(

If you are having problems that do not appear under a separate user account, then your issue is almost certainly located in your ~/Library folder. Here is the extreme games :) version of fixing it. I hope you haven't already gotten this suggestion at the Apple forums.

Uninstall any plugins you have for Safari, such as PithHelmet, AcidSearch, SAFT, etc.

If you don't already have the debug menu enabled, do so by closing Safari and running this:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

in Terminal. Then re-open Safari. Use the debug menu to save a copy of your bookmarks, because you're going to lose all your preferences....

Now quit Safari, and make a temp folder on your desktop. Open Finder, navigate to the Library folder in your account, and move the Safari folder from there to the temp folder, making sure that it is deleted from the Library folder. Do the same for com.apple.safari.plist in the ~/Library/Preferences folder. Also move the ~/Library/caches/Safari folder here (maybe calling it something different, so you know which Safari folder in your temp is which). Again, make sure its deleted. Now, go back into your home directory and single click on the Library folder contained in it in Finder again. In the search bar, type in the name of each plugin you installed, one at a time, and delete everything that shows up and looks like it might be related to the plugin.

Now, if Safari works without crashing, you can restore plugins and your bookmarks.

Hope this might help?

germ war

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Saint Paul, MN
I tried all this, and it unfortunately did not solve the problem. I just went ahead and did a system restore and reinstalled all my files. Safari works fine NOW, of course. :)

Thank you, anyway, for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.