Safari crashing in Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CornStar, Jul 23, 2009.

1. CornStar macrumors newbie

I tried searching for something close to this question and apologize in advance if it has been well covered...

I am using Safari 4.0.2 on my sony laptop and it has been crashing quite a bit lately since I upgraded. The support window that pops up says that Safari was shut down do to a Data Execution Prevention security feature. I am not very tech strong, so I am not sure what this means exactly, and more importantly, how to fix it. I really do like Safari much better than Firefox, but this is getting a little silly. Yesterday it shut down when I was opening gmail, the other sites that come to mind that have been shutting down regularly are ESPN.com and TUAW. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    CS

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, I found safari for windows to be buggy slower and has some memory leaks. I use it extensively on windows XP and as time goes by it goes slower and slower. Crashing a couple of times a day. I love it, but I'm finding it almost unusable at this point. The only reason why I stick with it, is the synchronization with mobileme. I can keep my bookmarks in sync with my Mac.

3. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Safari 3???

You could just resort to Safari 3 which is more stable for Windows Vista. I highly suggest that you should unless what you're doing on the web ABSOLUTELY requires safari 4.
    Cheers. Hope it works. :)

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Is anybody else wondering why this is in Mac Applications? :p

5. CornStar thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, new to the dance. Is there an appropriate area and I will post there?

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

maybe on a windows forum?

i am sure someone runs bootcamp and can help you though.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Data Execution Prevention or DEP is a feature MS added with XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003. Looks like they stuck it in Vista too. A quick Google search revealed this link which has steps to completely disable it. Note that I haven't had any troubles on my Windows computer with Safari 4.0.2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3, so I didn't need to go through those steps. Alternatively, rather than disabling it outright, on XP you can also add programs to be excluded from the DEP protocol by going to System Properties->Advanced->Performance->Settings->Data Execution Prevention, then toggling to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and then adding to the list. System Properties is accessed by right clicking on My Computer then selecting Properties. There may be a similar setting on Vista though I can't verify that at the moment.

8. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Safari for Windows is absolutely crap. Perfectly integrates with the quality of the OS it runs on :D

9. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Yet more people use it than IE. Which is a good thing. ;)