iPad Safari crashing more last 36 hours!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeRito, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Are you experiencing more crashes with iPad air in the last day and a half? I clear safari browsing history at the end of every day, don't have any other apps opened, and still Safari is crashing with greater frequency than ever!

Great device but horribly disappointing in this regard...

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

I would estimate I had 5 Safari crashes in total on my iPad 1, iPad 2, and iPad 4 over the years.

I've had roughly 1-2 crashes per day since getting the iPad Air (and of course iOS7).

I've had approximately 10 crashes today.

So to answer your question, YES, I've experienced more lately.

3. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I don't use Safari, I use Mercury, but I too have had more crashes in the last 24 hours. That's saying something too considering how many crashes I've already had on the Air. I've had about 8 crashes in the last 24 hours.

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'm using Atomic and while nothing's perfect it seems to be more stable.

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Safari crashes so often, I can't honestly say that it's more than normal, since normal is crashing multiple times a day.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

7. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

yea, same here

8. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

I can no longer ignore the obvious. It's constant. I've owned every single iPad since day one and this is quite disappointing. Reloads and crashes over and over. What a drag. :(

9. caubeck macrumors 6502

I've had and have the same problem in Safari.

The iPad itself was unstable for a time. Crashing got worse very quickly and began to have all kinds of strange issues. When I noticed I couldn't make a keyboard shortcut any more I took the action of backing up my iCloud documents, reset the iCloud from within iCloud on a laptop and the problems stopped. Now the restarts are much less common, shortcuts work again, the keyboard isn't freezing all the time, etc.

I'm using an Air, fresh install. 7.1 is said to cure much of the crashing - in Safari and systemwide - but apparently it won't be out till March. Pretty shoddy update in general and an appallingly long wait for a correction, whatever the Apple apologists say.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

We all must wait till 7.1 where people "claim" this is fixed.

No much choice except to wait.

Try to relax in the mean time:apple:

11. Altis macrumors 68020

I can't help but feel it's taking way too long to address this issue that plagues so many. It's not like this is a first generation product, they should have patched it up by now. If people have to be 1/3 of the way to iOS 8 and the next iPad just to have it work properly, that says something. People paid a lot of money for these things.

My iPad 1 is far more stable even still, and in some actions quicker (although in many, not).

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

since two days ago I switched to Mercury Browser and I forgot about Safari crashes, tabs reload and Low Memory issues....

----------

We have choice: there are other browser much more stable.

----------

I didn't have a bad experience on previous devices ... It's all about iPad Air and a Safari 64 bits.

13. mfr1340 macrumors regular

crashes

I never had any crashes on any of my iPads, iPad 2,3,4,mini, air, or rmini. I never worry about how many tabs I have open. Once in awhile I will close some tabs. What does happen when i am in Currents app it will close when i am switching pages or stories, but it just goes back to the folder that has the Currents app in it. I just touch the app and it goes right back to where i was reading. I just think it is so fast when I am changing pages that it gets confused and goes back to the beginning.

14. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Only one safari crash in the last week or so. And I have 10 or more tabs open....

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

10 tabs ? Do you have an iPad Air Special Edition ? :eek:

16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Safari on the ipad Air sucks. Crashes every day, doesn't matter how many tabs are open. Crashes on the 5S too but not as much as on the Air.

I've got tons of crash log entries. Apple needs to fix this ASAP.

17. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I really think it has something to do with the website codes conflicting. My guess is I don't go to the same websites as others that have lots of issues. Not sure if it is something apple changed or didn't add back in when they did the update, but really seems like that would be the issue to me.

18. jonnyb098, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

The problem is that iOS 7 is uncharted territory. Much has changed. In the Apple support forums theres already been a confirmation from someone who talked to a senior engineer. Theres a fix coming in the next big update and Apple is definitely aware of how big of a problem this is as of a few weeks ago. Apparently all the complaining is going to pay off.

Its supposedly a javascript problem that only affects certain websites. Thats whats causing some of the crashes.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Do you have links to the discussion ?

20. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

We are in agreement but it is what it is and we will have to wait.

All works perfectly on my new Air with the exception of a freeze or occasional crash in safari. It is not enough for me to turn against Apple as I am still getting great use out of my Air.

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I haven't either. Not since I took delivery of my Air back in November. Maybe I'm not hitting the right sites, maybe it's just dumb luck. I have no idea. I do feel the pain of the users reporting this though and hope it gets sortd with an OS release.

Strange though.... Lots of people here seem to have it happen when many many others don't. :confused:

22. Bkheilman, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

Bkheilman macrumors newbie

Hopeful for sooner than later fix re iPad Air crashing

I've been lurking around these forums since I first started experiencing crashes back in September after downloading iOS 7 on my iPad 2 . Thinking it was just too much for my wimpy older iPad, I splurged on the new iPad Air the first day it came out. It crashed twice the first day in the same manner as the old one did and well, since then at least 3-4 times a day whether I'm in apps, Safari, Chrome (or just when I breathe on it wrong). Sometimes I get the big crash where it goes to white screen and restarts but mostly just closes what I'm in and reverts to Home screen. Frustrating to say the least when it doesn't save what I'm doing. I almost feel bad for all of the app developers; there are so many recent reviews for various apps where people are complaining and blaming the developers for frequent crashing, but with the system itself being ridiculously unstable, who could know (except Apple or IT geniuses) for sure if it is the app causing the crashes? Anyway, hoping for a fix sooner than later...I mean, there must be a bajillion MORE unhappy post-Christmas recipients of these crashing devices who are lurking on these forums like me, looking for a fix, (reading that a clean install probably isn't it), calling Apple support for a replacement (only to get a new one that crashes too), or worse, returning for a refund to buy an Android tablet.. C'mon Apple, you have to do better - Steve would not have ignored this problem for this long. Don't let the people who bought these for gifts regret their purchases or continue to let the app developers take the blame for your mistake. Being in the dark about your new products is an acceptable Apple culture because those who know and use Apple devices can at least depend on the stability and support of their products; waiting 6+ months in the dark for a "possible" fix to make our devices as functional as they were a year ago --- unacceptable, defies progress and cheapens the quality the Apple is known for. If you want a faster fix folks, best advice you'll probably find is to get on the forum's bandwagon and complain. :mad:

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Since we are speaking about Safari, the websites visited are different.