Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckawheat

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Hope it isn't a repeat, but please let me know if you have the same issue.

When I use Safari on my ipod touch after upgrading, I will be able to surf as normal for anywhere from 1-20 minutes, then it just crashes - black screen, to home screen. If I restart Safari, it is either where I was or one step back.

I restored the IPod to scratch, reinstalled IOS5 and tried again, same issue.

I don't have many apps and they are the mainstream ones that I am sure most have, so I don't think it is anything other than IOS5 (and all were on the touch before the upgrade except the magazines in newsstand).

Is anyone else having this issue?

To summarize - Safari crashes every 1 - 5 minutes after an update to IOS5 on my ipod touch - when reopened - it is back where it was.

Thanks!

shakra00

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
It depends on the website. If it uses too much memory then it wil crash.
Mine crashes too on big websites like techradar.com

JunkyDog

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am at 4.3.3 and same here. Crashes after 20 min of browsing here. So it's not iOS related I think.

buckawheat

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I never had the issue on any of the previous os's - it is specific to IOS5. I am going to try another restore on the weekend and if it doesn't work book a service appointment (lucky I got applecare on it for $5 when the source cleared it out for ipods).

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
What is up with Apple products not terminating applications when you close them and us having to manually quit them?

I spend a lot of my time closing apps. I might have to downgrade the OS. It still crashes. And it's slow.

chimmy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012

When I use Safari on my ipod touch after upgrading, I will be able to surf as normal for anywhere from 1-20 minutes, then it just crashes - black screen, to home screen. If I restart Safari, it is either where I was or one step back.

I don't have many apps and they are the mainstream ones that I am sure most have, so I don't think it is anything other than IOS5 (and all were on the touch before the upgrade except the magazines in newsstand).

To summarize - Safari crashes every 1 - 5 minutes after an update to IOS5 on my ipod touch - when reopened - it is back where it was.

Thanks!

It's because you have the latest version of iOS my iPod touch safari crashes too it depends on the website try going to cydia then search for safari fix click install then the app then fix your crash is your device jailbroken? Try resetting all settings this will not erase all apps games misc data and documents. It will reset back to factory setting? Have ever done that would you able to like 5 mins before it crashes on your face?

Last edited:

chimmy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks!
Do you have an a

----------

Thanks!

Do you have cydia on your iPod touch? Which you can't uninstall? Try uninstalling cydia and then try again this souls fix your iPods issue.

----------

Thanks!

Try uninstalling cydia that sould help If you can try doing this.Sara iPod has a lettered pass code when you unlock people's iPod touch they may have pass codes which they ask you for that if you disabled them then they can't use it like iPod is disabled,iPhone is disabled,iPad is disabled,Wrong Passcode,Enter Passcode. Is your device jailbroken?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.