Safari crashing too often...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jan 7, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

i really hope the 1.1.3 firmware will improve safari, because right now web surfing on it is like walking on egg-shells. really frustrating how often it crashes and returns you to the home-menu.

2. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Try doing a hard reset out of Safari (hold down the 'home' button till it quits out) . Then switch the iPhone off and on again. Similar things were happening to me, especially when playing the iPod at the same time.

3. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Yea sounds like an isolated problem, I spend about 3 solid hours a day on mine and have never had any issue with Safari crashing (now typos that's another story :()

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i agree 100%. while i LOVE my iphone, this is the biggest flaw that can really frustrate me. i use it mostly on my commute, and while the edge signal can fluctuate during the train ride (which is understandable), i hate it when i'm browsing and safari just shuts down. i rarely even bother trying to listen to music at the same time since that makes it even worse.

rebooting seems to help a little for a short time, but it's not a long-term solution... :(

5. mrJnC macrumors regular

FWIW, I find it seems much more stable if I keep around 1G of storage free, occasionally clean out my caches/cookies/history, and don't have 7 other webpages open in the background. And not playing music simultaneously while browsing either.

6. Daeve macrumors member

Indeed, this is the biggest annoyance with my iphone (well bar no copy/paste ;) ). UK 1.1.2 no hacks, no jailbreak - hardly any storage used, no other pages open or apps running (lke the ipod) - Safari still crashes on average twice an hour depending on the websites. I actually have reduced my surfing on it because it is so annoying.

Sure re-opening Safari take sme back to the page usually, but it takes valuable time and just irritates. I've tried restore, I've tried cold reboots and though it does get slightly more stable for a while it still crashes.

I'm sure 1.1.3 (or whatever the next update is) will sort it out because it seems to be a well publicised and known bug - I'm not the only one I know with these issues, this makes 3 out of 3 iphone owners I know with this issue in their handset.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Mine starts crashing after about a week of keeping it on (with flight mode on at night.) I find that turning it off, and then on after about 15 seconds keeps it from crashing, also keeps ipod from crashing in safari. However, what gets annoying is not being able to keep more then one page open without the other pages crashing.

8. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Considering this has been the iPhone's biggest stability issue since DAY ONE, I wouldn't expect 1.1.3 to do anything. 1.1.1 didn't, 1.1.2 didn't, and the one before those didn't either...

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I disagree, although they havent gotten rid of the problem hardly at all, Day 1 most people couldnt listen to ipod and use safari at the same time, and those that could it would be for like 20 minutes. Now you can and it lasts a lot longer, not perfect, and i dont know whats taking them so long, but theres something, and its getting fixed, though a bit slowly..

10. Rotatedline macrumors newbie

This is the reason I joined the forum...I guess I'm not the only one with the problem. Safari crashes on me fairly often, which is far from enjoyable.

11. Noeld macrumors member

I realized today that youtube clips you watch are kept in cache in their entirety. So if you have been watching videos, maybe that is what is eating up your cache unexpectedly.

Does anybody know a way to remove the youtube cache without rebooting?

12. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Mine crashes back into the main menu too. I thought it had to do something with the website. I don't do too much surfing with my iphone so it doesn'tbother me too much. But when it does crash, it is frustrating. I'm going to try all the suggestions and see if that clears things up.

13. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I have the same problem, especially while listening to music. Very, very annoying. It's still a very young product, so I don't let it get to me. Still, I am a bit surprised by the bugginess.

14. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I'v never had safari crash on me but (at least twice) the phone has stopped interacting with web pages (couldn't select anything, could only use the back button). Rebooting the phone helped tho