Safari Crashing

stormtrooper888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles CA
I've had my G5 for about 4 months now and its been pretty good considering its old as dirt. But I keep having issues with safari, anytime i have 4 or more tabs open, it wants to freeze and crash.

any suggestions to keep my G5 running smooth and stop from crashing?

stormtrooper888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles CA
i have tried running other browsers, tried stainless and it was no better. Stainless actually ran slower.

But now I have a much worse problem. My G5 wont even turn on, it gets to the white screen with the apple logo and powers off. How can i fix this?

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
No flashing powerlight or anything? Soon as you press the power button, try getting into single user mode...

Immediately press and hold, Command s screen should go black and the fans slowly start to rev up so it doesn't overheat.

At the command-line prompt type: /sbin/fsck -fy return

fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Try booting from the OS X disc while holding c at startup.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/139405-imac-shuts-down-boot-please-help.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

1. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.