Safari dead, arrrrghhh!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBX, Mar 2, 2010.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

This is unbelievable. I was updating my bookmarks in Safari and decided to get rid of the included News RSS-feeds that originally came with the browser because i use my own RSS-feeds.

Shortly after our so beloved spinning beach ball of death appeared. I let it spin a bit but then decided to force-quit Safari.

I restarted with knowing i could use my most favorite browser on the mac again but not so. Right after starting it the damn beach ball appeared again and didn't stop spinning.

I force-quit again, restarted the app, force-quit again, same ****. I then let it do for like 10min's in hope it's doing some unknown calculations for whatever reasons after i deleted those RSS-feeds, it didn't stop.

SO I restarted and thought ok this must be it, this must finally work! NO IT DIDN'T. I then did an Onyx maintenance cleaning to get rid of the web cache, etc, didn't work either.

I went to download Webkit in hope that would work but no, it doesn't!

I can't believe this, WTF?!? All I did was getting rid of those RSS-bookmarks.

And ironically it happened few minutes after i've seen this image, I really feel like the guy now

[​IMG]

What am I supposed to do now? Will a re-install of Safari work? I'm not even sure if the latest version for Snow Leopard is available for download?

2. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Just to confirm: The re-installation of Safari didn't work either. The spinning beach ball of death isn't going away.

I can't believe this.

But oh well, thanks to your bug, Apple, I'm now forced to switch to Google's Chrome.

Goodbye Safari, maybe we'll meet one day again...

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Hysteria doesn't help.

If you create a new account (or switch to another existing account), does Safari work?

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm definitely not going to create a new/ other OS-X account just because of Safari if that's what you mean. I have way too many settings and details done in my main Admin account to do so.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

The new account would simply be to test whether the problem with Safari is due to something in your account (which is almost certainly the case). It would then be deleted. Takes all of 2 minutes, maybe.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Simple questions, but have you repaired permissions or deleted the Safari .plist files?

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Could you point out which .plist files (and in what folder and folder-structure) exactly?

I went to the /Library/Safari folder and deleted the .plist files there including the Bookmarks.plist.

After starting Safari the standard bookmarks appear but the spinning beach ball of death still happens.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry, but I'm at work now, and only have access to Windows. However, those files sound like the right ones. I'm really surprised that re-installing Safari didn't fix it.

9. LPZ macrumors 65816

You might drag the entire ~/Library/Safari folder to your Desktop and try restarting Safari.

You might also try dragging ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist and/or ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist to your Desktop and restarting.

10. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I just did that but it didn't work either and the spinning beach ball of death is still freezing Safari. This is incredibly strange...

Seems like I just have to give up reviving Safari for now and wait for the 10.6.3 update in hope something will fix this bug.

It sucks a bit because compared to Safari, Chrome and Firefox are slower. I'm actually surprised how much slower (loading pages, etc) Chrome is compared to Safari.

11. LPZ macrumors 65816

Would you please create a new account and see if Safari works there?

12. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I know that Safari will work in the new account because of completely different user settings throughout the OS. So what's the point?

It needs to work in my current account.

13. LPZ macrumors 65816

OK, we'll just assume that the application itself is fine and something in your account is causing the problem.

Have you installed any Safari add-ons?

Have you repaired permissions? Adobe Flash is often installed with incorrect permissions, and this sometimes leads to hangs/crashes.

When you force quit, do you get a box that gives you the option of sending a report to Apple? If so, you should do so, and also post the report here.

Can you select Reset Safari... from the main Safari menu, or does the hang preclude that?

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No offense, but you have no clue if it will work, you're making an unwarranted assumption. No one here can help you if you won't take even simple troubleshooting steps to verify the symptoms. It's entirely possible, btw, that it won't work in the other account, in which case reinstalling Safari would be a good plan.

jW

15. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

- No Safari add-ons.

- Yes repaired permissions and as mentioned did all the maintenance stuff with Onyx.

- Yes i did send a report but that's not gonna help much, even if they read it it's not like they will send me an update and who knows if the bug will ever be considered in some of the updates.

- Unfortunately can't select the menu as the spinning beach ball of death is preventing me from that, Safari is frozen.

16. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you even read this thread? I said i already tried re-installing Safari and it didn't work.

There's no point to create a different account, even if Safari works there (and it probably will) it has to work in my current account. I'm really grateful for all the suggestions but the creating a new account and even possibly migrating all the files, restoring all the details/ user settings, etc is out of option.
    Just because Safari is freezing up on me only because i deleted some news RSS-feed bookmarks.

I really doubt it's an OS/ User settings thing either and must be an only Safari bug. It never happened before and appeared right after i deleted those RSS-bookmarks. Which is completely and incredibly strange.

17. LPZ macrumors 65816

Would you be able to copy and paste the contents of that report here? Then we can see the information and someone here will probably be able to help you right away.

18. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Too late, at least i don't know how to access the sent report, is it stored somewhere?

19. LPZ macrumors 65816

Don't you get the same option each time you force quit Safari?

20. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I just did the force-quit couple of times now but for some reason the send report pop up box doesn't appear.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The image actually is showing the Google Chrome browser, not Safari.

22. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Eh yes? Unfortunately this **** is happening to me but with Safari.

I'm already annoyed how slow the two other browsers are compared to Safari but have to deal with it for now.

23. LPZ macrumors 65816

Is there anything recent in

/Library/Logs/HangReporter/Safari

(On your hard drive, not in your home folder.)

24. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

MBX, nobody is suggesting that you migrate to a different user, the request was to temporarily create a new user and verify that Safari opens normally there. You say you're positive it will, and that may be the case. If so, then there is an issue with your current user account, not Safari.

I have something else you may want to look at. This shouldn't be the case, but is there an instance of Safari in your User/Applications directory (it should only reside in the /Applications directory)? I have seen some cases where a user has duplicated the application from the root Applications directory to the User Applications one.

Also, check the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter directory for the logs from these crashes. They're date/time stamped, you could post it here, too.

The whole point of troubleshooting is to try and replicate and then eliminate possible causes, and that's all we're trying to help you with here.

25. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

In the HangReporter folder, there's no Safari folder, it's totally empty.