Safari default to Entourage for Email - How?

Waiea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
9
0
OK, this is probably pretty simple but I haven't figured it out yet and didn't find it in a forum search. How do I set Entourage as my default email account in Safari? When I click on a mail link in Safari, it gives me an error box that says I have no accounts set up in Mail (which is true - I don't). I would like to specify Entourage as the mail application in Safari such that when I click on such links, it opens the send mail dialog in Entourage with the 'To' address completed.

--Kui
 

Waiea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
9
0
Maybe I Wasn't Clear ...

I can't open Mail. If I try to open it, I just get the 'set up accounts' screen which I don't want to do. In Safari I can't find the preference setting to tell it I want Entourage to be the default email. Maybe there's some global setting somewhere that I can set to Entourage??
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,604
146
Bergen, Norway
Waiea said:
I can't open Mail. If I try to open it, I just get the 'set up accounts' screen which I don't want to do. In Safari I can't find the preference setting to tell it I want Entourage to be the default email. Maybe there's some global setting somewhere that I can set to Entourage??
Just set up a dummy account if Mail wont let you escape the wizard or access Mail menu -> Preferences..., then set Entourage as default mail client as described above... ;)
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
Waiea said:
I can't open Mail. If I try to open it, I just get the 'set up accounts' screen which I don't want to do. In Safari I can't find the preference setting to tell it I want Entourage to be the default email. Maybe there's some global setting somewhere that I can set to Entourage??
Oh, for Pete's sake! Set up an account in Mail. Make it a fake account if you want. Then go to Safari > Preferences. Select Entourage as your default email client.

Remember: It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Word to the Wise: Entourage may completely hide certain messages from you. Using Entourage exclusively, you may never know what you are missing. Set-up your accounts in Mail in parallel to those in Entourage. On occasion, check your mail in Mail to ensure that you haven't missed any important messages.
 

Waiea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
9
0
Thanks for the help (and condecension)

Thanks - I got it set up. It seems counterintuitive to have go to Mail, just to tell it I don't want to use Mail! I just assumed I would tell Safari (or some global system preference) what I wanted it to use.

As you can no doubt tell, I'm new to the MAC and bring a lot of Windows baggage with me!

Again, thanks for the help!!
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
Waiea said:
....

As you can no doubt tell, I'm new to the MAC and bring a lot of Windows baggage with me!
The first step to solving your problem is admitting that you have a problem;)
Waiea said:
Again, thanks for the help!!
You're welcome :)
 

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
255
0
Waiea said:
It seems counterintuitive to have go to Mail, just to tell it I don't want to use Mail!!
It is quite counterintuitive indeed; it beats me why they did it that way... and there's a similar issue in Safari; you have to change the default browser there. Hopefully they'll change that in the future.
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
Linkjeniero said:
It is quite counterintuitive indeed; it beats me why they did it that way... and there's a similar issue in Safari; you have to change the default browser there. Hopefully they'll change that in the future.
Not true. Apple adopted this new paradigm with the introduction of MacOS X 10.3 nearly two years ago. Most MacOS X browsers, including the latest builds of FireFox (DeerPark), allow the default browser to be set within their application preferences.