Safari desktop mode?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by eclipse01, Nov 5, 2013.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Is this hidden somewhere? I feel like this browser is perfect to me, would be shocked if it is not in there.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hmm? There is no desktop mode. Most sites control the way you view the content, it's site specific. Some sites offer the option to switch between desktop/mobile version, others don't even offer a mobile version, and others don't allow you to view desktop version from a mobile device.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Third-party browsers offer this option: Mercury is one I use when I need a desktop version.

I wish Apple would just have an option in Safari with "Mobile" or "Desktop" in the Settings app.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Why would Apple do that? Browsing a website in desktop mode on a smartphone is not a pleasant experience.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Chrome has that kind of an option as well.

----------

It might not be as nice, but often it's far from being unpleasant. There are even times when it would actually be more pleasant and better than a mobile version which is just some sort of basic and/or poorly maintained site. There are also times when mobile versions don't offer all the things that the full site offers and you might want or need to get to those options.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Actually one of iPhones main features that Steve Jobs pointed out was it features the full web (desktop version) not a watered down mobile version.

I think it benefits as it some sites' model version doesn't feature everything as the desktop version does.

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I would like that option, theres too many mobile sites now. The whole point of the iPhone was to get the full web experience on your phone.

8. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

What about iPad? Remember iOS also runs on iPad... Chrome has request desktop feature... I always prefer desktop version on my iPad... the screen is large enough

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Honestly, desktop websites on an iPad look like crap too. you end up zooming in and out and moving the page around to read it properly.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Compared to what Web pages looked like on a mobile phone prior to the iPhone (See Below) Steve was correct in his statement because Safari did actually load a website like it was a desktop browser.
    [​IMG]

In this time and age so many web sites are formatted for mobile the ones that aren't seem to be behind in technology.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The vast majority of mobile sites still don't have feature parity with their desktop versions.

Once that happens then please feel free to come back with that argument. Until then, though, it's a meaningless argument because it doesn't matter how nice a site looks if it can't show me what I need.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't see an iPad getting a desktop user agent anytime soon. It's bad enough the "full site" feature of some websites don't even load properly as it is forcing you to go to a laptop or desktop to accomplish simple tasks.

13. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

majority of the site looks fine, at least for me. I really hate mobile view, they are just annoying.

For example: 9 to 5 mac mobile view, you have keep flip pages on mobile view.

I think there should be at least an option for: Request Desktop Site

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Your expectations of a desktop browsing experience are different than mine. I expect to be able to read the text on a page without zooming in and with minimal scrolling just like the term "desktop" implies.

15. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think that kind of expectation differs from the one most would have of that kind of a feature on a smaller mobile device.

17. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Videos on Cnet.com don't work on mobile (one example)

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

videos I can understand.

19. Modemjunkie macrumors newbie

Mobile sites often have to redirect

Mobile sites often redirect when hitting the ios Safari... big waste of time.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

What do you mean?

21. Modemjunkie macrumors newbie

Safari redirects pages...

It has been my experience that when I try to open some sites they start to load their desktop version. Then they "discover" Safari is a mobile site and they redirect to a mobile version of the page. I have seen less of that lately.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Intersting. Perhaps that will change with more mobile browsers offering that kind of an option.

23. Modemjunkie macrumors newbie

Well, Whenever there is an untethered jaibreak for Ios8 I'll think about it. Meanwhile I am stuck at 6.x. There are just too many tools I use that need the jailbreak.

Especially f.lux, which I use per doctors orders.

24. Armen, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Below is a screenshot of what Websites looked like on most mobile phones circa 2007. (WAP)
    [​IMG]

The touch screen experience of Safari on the original iphone with the ability to move the screen around and pinch and zoom was a way better "full" site experience than what other phones had to offer (which were not even touch screen)

In this day and age the Mobile versions of webpages are even more user friendly. However, some web sites still do not offer the full functionality of their desktop site in their mobile format.