Safari displaying strange type symbols.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gugy, Jul 26, 2011.

  1. gugy macrumors 68030

    Jan 31, 2005
    La Jolla, CA
    Since I update to Lion, several websites under Safari display these weird characters. How do I get rid of them and go back to normal viewing?
    I notice if I disable some fonts like Arial (maybe duplicates) it help a bit but doesn't go away entirely.
    I appreciate any feedback if anybody encountered this problem and found a solution.

    Attached Files:

  2. brijazz macrumors 6502


    Jul 31, 2008
    I had the same problem after installing MS Office 2011. I did a "resolve duplicates" in Font Book, and followed with a simple reboot to fix the problem.

    This was under 10.6.8... don't know if Lion will give the same result.
  3. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

    Jan 31, 2005
    La Jolla, CA
    yeah, it seems like a font duplicate issue. The weird stuff it was fine under Snow Leopard, it just started to happen in Lion. I wonder if Lion installed new fonts thus the issue.
    Trying to figure out how to eliminate all duplicates on Font Book. I did use the comand under the menus it did find few duplicates but the issue persists.
    Annoying thing.
    Thanks for the tip.
  4. pnwdesigns macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2014
    Strange Character Problem!

    the same thing was happening to me safari yahoo email, some web pages in firefox and then adobe illustrator all of a sudden after adding fonts. i tried checking the allow pages to choose their own fonts... and that kind of helped but not everything. i tried clearing the cache in firefox and then in safari but that didn't help. then i tried validating my fonts and cleared the duplicates and that didn't help. i even got rid of the newly additional fonts added but no go, rebooted each time. THEN finally i found online that i needed to clear the font cache. downloaded font finagler (shareware) and now all the odd characters went away even in my adobe illustrator!! here is the link there are other font cache cleaners but this one worked for me.

Share This Page