Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I'm not sure if this is a known issue with Safari, but on certain sites (e.g., circuitity.com, bestbuy.com) when you click on a dropdown menu and move the pointer to select an item from the menu, the menu disappears! As you keep moving the pointer down, the individual items show up, but the rest of the menu is not visible. Is there a fix for this in Safari, or should I get a different browser that handles the "optimized for IE" pages correctly?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i've seen this before! it's annoying, I know, i always just blame it on the website :)

you could try using Firefox, or Camino, many mac users swear by those browsers.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm not sure if this is a known issue with Safari, but on certain sites (e.g., circuitity.com, bestbuy.com) when you click on a dropdown menu and move the pointer to select an item from the menu, the menu disappears! As you keep moving the pointer down, the individual items show up, but the rest of the menu is not visible. Is there a fix for this in Safari, or should I get a different browser that handles the "optimized for IE" pages correctly?

I just went to the two websites you mentioned using Safari (I assumed you meant circuitcity.com and was missing a "c").
The dropdown menus at Best Buy worked fine -- no problems. There was a slight lag in making them appear, but when they did, they worked like they were supposed to, and didn't disappear.
At Circuit City's site, however, when I clicked on any dropdown menu that covered the main rectangular image on the left (with the constantly changing images), the menu would appear -- but when I moved the pointer down, the portion of it THAT COVERED THE MAIN IMAGE BOX ONLY disappeared (except for the one line of the menu that actually had my pointer on it).

Really, really weird -- and yeah, I guess I've encountered similar type problems before, now that I think of it. Nothing too terrible where I couldn't still navigate the site. For example, I can still use the dropdown menus at circuitcity.com -- it's just annoying and looks bad.

But yeah, would be nice if this got fixed in the future. I also noticed the Best Buy site was positioned to the extreme left instead of the middle, which I'm guessing isn't supposed to be the way it's meant to be displayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.