Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
There are a couple of websites which I belive have pictures/images or something and it just shows a small blue question mark and you cannot do anything on that webpage. I looked on the pference and the display images is checked. So I don't know why it is hapenning. It sometimes says undefined.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The blue question mark is what Safari shows when the image can not be found. Try reloading the page just to make sure it's not a glitch with incomplete loading of the page. It may just be a problem with the page though. If you want to post a link or two here, we can check to see if others are seeing the same thing.

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
Having same problem over at Ars

Hi guys,

I've been having the exact same problem, but the only site that I find problems with is Ars Technica. I would've thought they would be Safari compliant, but maybe not? Here's a link:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/13/7018

It's a bit annoying since whatever they're reviewing doesn't show up as an image. Any thoughts, or anyone else having the same issue on the site?

BTW, I'm running 10.4.8 on a 867 12" Powerbook, if that helps.

Thanks

Brian

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can either of you post screenshots? Apple-Shift-3 or Apple-Shift-4 (and then select the region with crosshairs), and then either attach the image that shows up on your desktop to your post or upload it to photobucket, etc, and link it.

ArsTechnica seems to display fine on my Safari....

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Just for giggles, when in Safari, go to the Safari menu and then click on Preferences. Then click on the Appearance icon and see if Display images when pages open is checked.

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
Hey, thanks for the speedy reply. I've attached a partial screenshot so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,082

partytime2

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
some work some dont

it seems like there is an increasing number if images that dont work. i went to the same page 2x and different immages showed, with less showing the seccond time. I went there in internet explorer, and they showed fine. i have it set to show images in prefrences

AreB

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
I have the same problem showing photos on some sites on my Safari browser. I have it set to show images in preferences.

Here are a screenshot form the norwegian site mac1.no:

Got the same trouble on both my Mac Pro, and my Macbook Pro. It works just fine on my Firefox.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Safari 5 issues

Safari 5 has some major issues for some and not others, Apple of course deny any knowledge as they always do, but you would think that Apple would test their software properly before releasing a full browser update. if it was in Beta you would except issues but this isn't beta and there are major flaws.

Thank god for Chrome!

Bye bye Safari on my Mac pPo and iphone

macman77

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
same problem

i've been having the same problem with the verizon wireless site, it has been happening on both my imac and my macbook pro both have the newest version of os x. and it happens on google chrome too. anyway this is all it is all the way down the page, there's not even any design:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-23 at 7.22.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-23 at 7.22.35 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 642

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Has anyone given thought to the idea that perhaps those sites were developed using IE only extensions?

LittlePluma

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Just for giggles, when in Safari, go to the Safari menu and then click on Preferences. Then click on the Appearance icon and see if Display images when pages open is checked.

You've got to be kidding me. It worked. :rolleyes:

jedisinclair13

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
Has anyone given thought to the idea that perhaps those sites were developed using IE only extensions?

That's not it. I have the same problem with the google news images (in Safari's bookmarks under News) it has always shown photos until Safari 5... now ALL of them are the blue ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's not it. I have the same problem with the google news images (in Safari's bookmarks under News) it has always shown photos until Safari 5... now ALL of them are the blue ?
Did you read the quoted text in the post just before yours?

JeffreyL

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
I'm trying to help a neighbor with the same problem.
She just upgraded to a new (used, but new to her) macbook.
Her old macbook, did, and still does properly display graphics in Safari, but the newer, more up to date macbook shows text on some pages. I've noticed it on some Facebook pages (account settings), and in particular, on this page: https://www.wellsfargo.com/

There is no problem when using Firefox.

Can those of you that have the problem see the graphic on the Wells Fargo page?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're referring to the logo in the upper left corner, or the wagon train image below that, yes, I see them. Make sure you don't have an ad-blocker that is blocking them. Also check Safari > Preferences > Appearance > Display images when the page opens (be sure it's checked)

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I'm trying to help a neighbor with the same problem.
She just upgraded to a new (used, but new to her) macbook.
Her old macbook, did, and still does properly display graphics in Safari, but the newer, more up to date macbook shows text on some pages. I've noticed it on some Facebook pages (account settings), and in particular, on this page: https://www.wellsfargo.com/

There is no problem when using Firefox.

I had this problem. No images would show up at all using Safari but any other browser worked fine. People suggested that I check to make sure I didn't have the developer option checked which I would have no reason to ever use.

I solved it by creating a new user account on both of my Macs since they both developed the problem on the same day. It happened when I used MobileMe to transfer my settings back to my Macs. Deleting my MM preferences on the server fixed it.

JeffreyL

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
I haven't had a chance to look at it again, but I guess I should have mentioned that the affected pages don't look like a normal web page with the pictures missing. As I recall, they looked the text was sort of listed down the left side of the screen (but it wasn't the html source code).

vtdad

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Here's my version of this issue (and why I can't post a sample): I go onto my online banking site, and inside an account I can click to get an image of the processed check, but when I do, I'm getting the blue exclamation point.

This is in Safari 5.1.2 on my MacBook Pro running OS 10.7.2.

Plot thickens: on my downstairs iMac, no problem. It runs Snow Leopard and I *think* the same version of Safari.

WTF?? :confused:

Novabot

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
I too have just been starting to get the blue question marks. I've had my Macbook Pro, Safari 5.1.5 for about 3 month. I called tech support at Apple and they seemed to think it was one of two things. They had me download a new version of Flash which initially seemed to do the trick, but then later I was back to the blue question marks again. Since it's Easter today they are not open. Ill call back on Monday and find out what the second thing was that they thought it could be. I never had this problem until just recently. It shows up on Utube and Yahoo as well as other sites. No problem when I use Firefox though. Kinda aggravating isn't it? :mad: I notice that when I reload the page sometimes Ill get the graphics back and sometimes not.
--------------------------------
I reinstalled Flash again and it corrected the problem, but like before it may go back to the blue question marks again. Wonder if Flash is getting corrupted somehow? Interesting though. Also, tried to reinstall Safari 5.1.5 but didn't help. Yes, the plot thickens.

What I've found was that when I reload Flash it corrects the problem, but when I "quit" Safari I get the problem back. Right now Im just minimizing Safari and it seems to be working ok. Is something in Safari corrupting Flash?

Monday: Called Apple. This is what they had me do... Close out all your programs. Hold Option button and under Go, select Library. Find Preferences and double click to open. Look down the list and find com.apple.safari.plist and drag to the trash can. Empty the trash. Restart your computer and open Safari (it will be a little different) Now go to your web site that your getting the ? marks at and see if that take care of the problem. So far so good. Hope it stays now.

Tuesday: Question Marks are back so the above didn't work. Apple says to download a new copy of the Operating System. Mine is Version 10.7.3. Ok I did that and took a couple hours but so far no blue background ? marks. Hoping this will do it but if it got that way once it will probably do it again down the road. Good luck people.

Thursday: The question marks are back. Just loaded up the App Store and half of them are question marks. Going to make one more call then just start using Firefox as its getting aggravating. Over and out!

Friday:4/14/12 Called Apple. Senior Rep went through all kinds of things to try and resolve the problem. Nothing worked, so is handing it over to the Engineers to see if they can figure it out and get back to me.

Monday: 7/2/12 Just checked my App Store and web sites and the blue ? marks are gone. They must have resolved this issue. Thanks Apple!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.