Safari doesn't register first click, second click is required

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Snookerman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Snookerman macrumors 6502

I just ran into this problem. If I click on something that usually requires one single click (like links for example) the first click won't register at all and I have to click a second time for anything to happen. I have the latest snow leopard and safari. Does anyone know what this is?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you switching to the Safari window from another window? If so, the first click changes the focus and makes the Safari window active. The second click would be accepted by Safari.

3. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

No, the window was already in focus, but the effect was the same, it felt like I was clicking to get the window in focus. However, this doesn't seem to happen anymore, so I don't really know what happened.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That happens to me every now and then. I'm sure it's an operator anomaly.

5. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that mean there's something wrong with safari or with os?

6. ansalmo macrumors regular

Have you installed any other software recently that you have running in the background, e.g. something that lurks in the menu bar? I guess it's possible that a badly-behaved app could steal focus every so often.

7. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, nothing except for a few apps from the app store but nothing else was running besides Safari when it happened and the focus was always on the Safari window (it was never grayed out like it is when it's not in focus). Furthermore, this happened even when I clicked on a different tab (I had to click twice) and that isn't required even when the window is out of focus.

8. 3282868 macrumors 603

Right clicking some links in iTunes/Safari = random full screen mode for App

I've notices in some instances when I right click on an iTunes or Safari link the Application automatically goes full screen. I don't have any third party Magic Mouse/Magic Trackpad applications. Any ideas?

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Happens to me when I don't realize I lost focus. I have a lot of different shortcuts to change windows, spaces, etc, and often lose focus of a window. One thing is, sometimes my palm hits the track pad causing me to lose focus, just learned to keep my wrists up when I type.

10. Q-chan macrumors member

Happens to me also frequently. However, I noticed that the "sensitive" area of buttons and around links is often very narrow. I feel Safari needs more precision positioning the pointer then other browsers. Just my observation, might be subjective, but might also be true.