Safari download problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by emdebeer, Oct 30, 2011.

1. emdebeer macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 using Safari ver 5.1.1. The last few days I am not able to download anything. I can browse at will but the moment I try to download a file (dmg. zip. anything) the window goes black, I can see the spinning thingy indicating activity but nothing happens. If I go to Window/Activity I can see the file downloading but if I go to Window/Downloads the file is not shown. After the activity window indicates that the file has been downloaded I can't locate it anywhere. Any thoughts? Please help...
    Etienne

2. kmarinelli macrumors newbie

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Clearing out Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist and, Library/Safari/ have no effect.

3. kmarinelli macrumors newbie

Problem found

I disabled plugins for Safari, and downloads mostly started working, except that downloads were displayed in the window instead of being saved as a file.

Looking at the list of installed plugins, I noticed:
    SpeedDownload Browser Plugin

This looked suspisious, so I checked the list of plugins for Firefox, which was working properly for downloads. SpeedDownload Browser Plugin was not in the Firefox list, so removed SpeedDownload Browser Plugin.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

Re-enabling plugins in Safari then resulted in correct downloads.