Safari Download Speed Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dlewis23, Apr 9, 2009.

1. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I've got a real odd problem with safari 4.

For some reason it is cutting my download speeds in about 1/2 from my server and many other places.

If I restart safari I will be able to download close to my 18 Mbps for a little bit but then it will just start to slow down and after about 30 minutes it will be down to about 6 - 8 Mbps.

Any one got any ideas why this would happen?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

download speed is never constant, did you test other browsers to see if this is a safari problem at all?

3. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats not true. Download speeds can be very constant with the right connection and tweaks.

This is something that happened recently with in the last 2 days and its only on this computer, it does it in firefox but its not as bad.

Anyone?

I've been trying to fix this for 2 days and its still the same.

On my windows notebook I can download at almost 2 MB/s from my server, but on my Macbook Pro I can't break 700 KB/s and the windows notebook is on WIFI.

I just uninstalled safari 4 and had safar3 and I was able to download at over 1.5 MB/s then put safari 4 back on and its back down to under 700 KB/s.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Actually it is true.
    Constant implies never changing, which is basically impossible unless the network between you and your source is completely static. Any alternating network activity will change download speeds.

So if it happens to Firefox, then it's not a problem with Safari (reminder: you're using a beta of Safari) something the Mac is downloading simultaneously in the background. Like OS patches? Torrents? Alternate web pages? Games?

Use lsof -i to investigate.