Safari / Downloading File Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by memoration, Nov 9, 2011.

  1. memoration macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    #1
    Hi Everyone,

    First time poster, long time reader :)

    I have 2 machines that use OS Lion and Safari as my native web browsers. I use both machines for personal and school related work. The issue we have with Safari is when we go to download our class notes and most of the files are word .docx files or .pptx files Safari will add an exension .html when we select file save as or when we just "click" the hyperlink it will download the directory of some sorts with a bunch of jibberish files that don't do much of anything.

    When I rename the classnotes.docx.html file to classnotes.docx the document opens completely blank. I have not resorted to downloading the class notes from a windows based machine at my office and emailing them to myself.

    What potential issue do I have with Safari that is preventing me from downloading the file. I have installed Mozilla on my mac machine and the downloaded file opens properly but for some reason with Safari it does not?

    I have scanned the forums and have not found a response or something I can do to fix the issue. Any help is appreciated.

    Kind Regards
     
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

    MisterMe

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    Renaming a file does not change its contents. Which application are you using to open the class notes?
     
  3. memoration thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    #3
    I am using Microsoft Word for Mac (2011 version)
     
  4. memoration thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    #4
    Has anyone experienced this issue? Perhaps a security setting in Safari? I have tried to monkey with just about everything
     
  5. tzus, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

    tzus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    I have the same problem. I found that holding down the alt key, whilst clicking on the link, does the trick. There is definitely something wrong somewhere but I have yet to find an answer.

    I have found the answer to my problem on another forum. The problem was caused by a download manager that had not been fully uninstalled. Check the following folders for any likely contenders:

    /Library/InputManagers
    /Library/Internet Plug-ins
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchDaemons
    /Library/StartupItems

    and the same folders in your user domain's Library folder.
     

Share This Page