Safari dragging, or OSX just running slow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by one1, Dec 21, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I've been kicking around the idea of reformatting my iMac and starting fresh. It's not slow by any means (2.4ghz aluminum, 4gb ram, 320gb hd), but when I create a new user account I can tell the new account is faster. That is what is primarily pushing me to go ahead and reformat the computer with a completely fresh install, however it seems like I really don't need to go that far since it is only that user account that is drug down with over a year of accumulation in preferences, add-ons (such as Candybar 3, Perian, etc).

The master account just is not "snappy" like a fresh account and I don't see a need in reformatting the computer if it is still fast on a new account, so..... what to do? I don't want to reload all my apps in a fresh install if I don't have to, and one in particular (iMovieHD) I CAN'T reload since I can't find the disk anymore (one out of 30 disks I have goes wandering, it had to be that one).

What's REALLY been bugging me though, is Safari. I'm on 3.1.2 and it really just isn't cutting it. On my test account it is easily faster than on my master account. What all should I delete in my Safari app to get it back to factory fresh speeds without attempting to reinstall it? It takes about one full second longer to load on my master account Safari than on the fresh test account I made on my iMac.

I can open Adobe Photoshop CS4 in under 4 seconds so I know the computer isn't dragging.

[​IMG]

It seems like it is mostly Safari that is sluggish, but then at times it seems like that neck snapping speed of opening windows in finder also is just slightly delayed making it feel not as fast.

I dunno, what should I do from here to snap things up in Safari and maybe finder as well? It can't be much slowing me down with CS4 opening in under 4 seconds. I mean.... I can almost open Photoshop CS4 as fast as I can switch web pages so...... Safari really isn't working out at the moment. I'm on the upgraded 22Mbps comcast package so I have plenty of pipeline behind my internet.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Update to 10.5.6.

If not, then Reset Safafi on the Safari menu should bring it back to speed. In the long run, try defraging your Safari cache a month after the reset. Instructions can be found on this site via google.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. Not that I won't update but if I can run a new user account and it be snappy that is not the direct fix. I'll give the Safari reset a try as well. Thanks again. :)