Safari Driving Me Mental

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EroH, Apr 21, 2009.

1. EroH macrumors newbie

This was posted in another thread, but there was no real solution. It's not really a 'problem', per se, I just can't figure out why this has changed, and it's driving my mental.

"Most programs in OS X stay open when you close them (when you click the red X button) unless you specifically close them from the dock. I think Safari 3 used to have this functionality but now when I close Safari, it "quits" as in all my open tabs are closed. However Safari stays open. Is there a setting to not close the tabs?"

??Anyone??

Thanks,
    Erin

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Just so I understand what you're saying...

When you close a window in Safari, the application stays open, and you have to go to the Dock or the Safari menu to actually quit it. But -- I think what you're saying -- is that you want Safari to save the tabs you had open when you quit it. Is that right? Or am I totally wrong?

If I'm on the right track, you might want to download Glims, which adds this feature (among many others) to Safari.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ No, it used to ask for confirmation before closing the window if there were multiple tabs open, now it doesn't.

Here's the fix:

Safari > Preferences > Tabs

There should be something along the lines of confirm before closing multiple tabs ...

4. EroH thread starter macrumors newbie

Crap, thanks guys - but that's not it.

OK. Let me try this again: So, I have my Safari window open here. Previously, if I went to 'close' (clicked the little 'x' in the top left hand corner), it would minimize Safari to the dock. Then, when I clicked on it on the dock, it would re-open the window right back to where it was before (with all my tabs).

But not anymore!

Now, if I go to close Safari, it minimizes Safari to the dock, but when I click on it on the dock to re-open it, whatever page I was at is gone (and my tabs), and I'm taken back to the Apple homepage.

Does this make any sense? Maybe I'm losing my mind :) :eek:

Erin

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The red x closes the window, the yellow - minimizes to the dock.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

you must have either been hitting the yellow "-" sign beside the red 'x' button to minimize it or you somehow had that button set to "hide" the application.

Hiding the application is similar to minimizing it, but you don't see the window sitting in the dock, it appears to be gone until you click the safari icon again to re-activate it. Upon selecting it, the window, with all contents are back, they were never closed.

Closing it makes you lose all open windows, and upon clicking the safari icon again, you are brought to the home page.

7. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Closing Safari always closed your tabs you had open. Closing Safari also does not minimize it to your dock. Minimize minimizes it to your dock.
    Hence the name, "Minimize."

Hiding or minimizing Safari will save your tabs. Closing or quitting will not, and never did.

8. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

sure there is, key board short cut!

:apple: H

or if you are using leopard you can switch from one space to another, and never having to worry about loosing your tabs!!!

Hope this helped....

:apple: