Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I'm trying to download an XML file I uploaded to Dropbox. It is an iTunes podcast file, and every time I try to download it from the web interface in Safari, it brings up the message about no RSS reader being installed on the computer.

I don't want an RSS reader. I just want to get the text from this file. It keeps redirecting it to feed:. How can I just download the file and not open it up as a feed? When I right click, it has the Dropbox right click options instead of the Mac OS X right click menu, so I can't use Download Linked File As...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
.xml

Update: Never mind, I just took the file extension out, downloaded it, and I got a .txt file. I was able to download it now.

It sounds like you have this check marked in Safari prefs. When this is checked it will try to open a DL file like that with the app associated with the file extension.

generaljw.png

Comment

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
It sounds like you have this check marked in Safari prefs. When this is checked it will try to open a DL file like that with the app associated with the file extension.

I don't have that checked, especially because of the amount of malware that can come from that option. It just opens it as a feed automatically, no matter if it is a download or not. Seems like the only option is changing the extension before downloading and then changing it back.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't have that checked, especially because of the amount of malware that can come from that option. It just opens it as a feed automatically, no matter if it is a download or not. Seems like the only option is changing the extension before downloading and then changing it back.

Ah... gotcha. Seems like it thinks it is web content or something and the browser wants to open it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.