Safari, Dropbox, and XML

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djtech42, Mar 19, 2013.

1. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm trying to download an XML file I uploaded to Dropbox. It is an iTunes podcast file, and every time I try to download it from the web interface in Safari, it brings up the message about no RSS reader being installed on the computer.

I don't want an RSS reader. I just want to get the text from this file. It keeps redirecting it to feed:. How can I just download the file and not open it up as a feed? When I right click, it has the Dropbox right click options instead of the Mac OS X right click menu, so I can't use Download Linked File As...

2. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

It's working fine for me... What file extension does the XML file use?

3. djtech42 thread starter macrumors 65816

djtech42

.xml

Update: Never mind, I just took the file extension out, downloaded it, and I got a .txt file. I was able to download it now.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have this check marked in Safari prefs. When this is checked it will try to open a DL file like that with the app associated with the file extension.

[​IMG]

5. djtech42 thread starter macrumors 65816

djtech42

I don't have that checked, especially because of the amount of malware that can come from that option. It just opens it as a feed automatically, no matter if it is a download or not. Seems like the only option is changing the extension before downloading and then changing it back.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... gotcha. Seems like it thinks it is web content or something and the browser wants to open it.