Safari "Dynamic Tab Sizing"

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Sambo110, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

So I installed Mountain Lion, and I really don't like the way tab sizing is handled. It used to be this way on an older version of Safari, but they changed it a while ago. Is there a way to make all tabs opened, the small size? As it is now, having two tabs open make each tab take up half the length of the screen, three tabs makes each tab take up a third etc. I like it when each tab opened it small and so having two open doesn't require huge mouse movements to reach the second. Hope I explained it well enough!

2. Meight macrumors newbie

by the way anyone knows if the cloud tabs is already working?

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I know what you mean and I've tried it with Safari 6. As far as I could see, however, there's no (easily accessible) option to revert to the old style. They're obviously trying to make Safari in OS X and iOS look similar.

I was going to switch back to Safari because of iCloud tabs, but now that Chrome is available for iOS, I'm using Chrome on all of my devices.

Anyway, a hack of sorts may be possible, although I have no idea how difficult that would be!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah the dynamic tab sizing is a pain, I'm no fan of it, but so far I gotten used to it.

5. LxHunter macrumors 6502

I hope someone comes up with a tweak for this.
    Used Lion Tweaks to fix the calendar and contacts.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yet another misguided priority of the OSX team.

Honestly... how this unrequested crap makes it to the top of the features list is a mystery to me. :confused:

7. westonm macrumors member

Took me a week or so, but I've adjusted and rather prefer the new tabs. Previously the names of tabs were often truncated. If you click between tabs I can see where it may take more adjustment. I've always used a combination of keyboard shortcuts and mouse buttons.

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

This. As with everything there's an adjustment period. Then you realise the benefit of the tabs showing more of the name rather than the bar having a huge under-utilised area.

9. hyperpiper45 macrumors regular

I think you need iOS 6 for the iCloud tabs to work, although I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

10. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

iCloud Tabs is fully functional if you have iOS 6 and Mountain Lion. Works great! :)

11. lhotka macrumors regular

A HUGE +1 on this. Closing a bunch of tabs is now a PITA, since the darn targets move between each click.

12. 50548 Guest

Yet more crap introduced by ML? I definitely use this a lot, especially since no movement of mouse is required to close successive tabs.

Really, why can't Apple devote more SPECIALIZED resources to the development of OS X in a way that is truly consistent with the Apple UI Guidelines? Craig Federighi, what the heck are you doing?

13. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

An alternate browser supporting two finger tap-to-zoom cannot come quickly enough. I am among those that do not like dynamic tab sizing.

14. Sesquipedalian macrumors newbie

I use the free BetterTouchTool, and configured a custom trackpad gesture to press ⌘W for me. Problem more than solved.

15. Peva macrumors newbie

16. LxHunter, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

LxHunter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info.
    I am not much of a Mac expert.
    I did this and it works - thanks for the tip - back to being happy again.

Just one naive question
    I downloaded SIMBL from: http://culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php
    Is SIMBL 0.9.9 the latest and compatible with Mountain Lion?
    Maybe a stupid question, since it works with 10.8

17. EnigMoiD macrumors member

One thing I found was that pressing command+shift+tab hides the tab view when you only have a single tab open. It saves a lot of screen space and hides something completely redundant and unnecessary, so it's made Safari's tabs a little better.

18. seetheforest macrumors member

Come on guys...

CMD + W

19. lukejames macrumors newbie

Feature??

Seriously, why oh why oh why is this supposed to be good? I cannot get used to it, and I don't care if the name is truncated. I want to know where to look when I'm eyeing my tabs. I want to double-click in the empty space and make a tab – not travel all the way to right edge. I know I can use key commands, and sometimes I do... but this is awful behavior, aesthetics, and clearly not tested on humans before they threw it upon us with no option to turn it off! Fine, some engineer in a cubicle somewhere thought it was a good idea... you have to force it on every user on the planet? Bad, bad Apple.

20. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. I rather like it. Easier to click on, especially with a trackpad.

iCloud tab only works with other MLs currently, for those of us that aren't developers with ios6.

21. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

CMD-T creates a new tab, CMD-W closes the open one.

22. Aksta macrumors regular

ah great back to normal!

23. Skika macrumors 68030

I'm loving the new dynamic tabs. And seriously people still click on the x to close tabs :confused:.

24. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yeah, my "work around" is to pinch and then flick through/close from there.

If i need to close a bunch of tabs, the X to close is in the same place on the screen for all the tabs when in the zoomed out overview.

edit:
    didn't know about cmd+w, cheers.

25. haravikk macrumors 65816

I actually prefer the dynamically sized tabs, but then I'm used to using the keyboard shortcuts to open (Cmd - T) and close (Cmd - W) all my tabs; I never really used the mouse with them unless I needed a specific tab, which is now a bit easier to find since they sometimes have more space.

That said, when I'm using tabs I'm usually using a lot of tabs, so the dynamic sizing doesn't really make much of a difference in that case.