Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheUnforgiven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
According to the battery usage, Safari is eating more than 50% of the battery on my 6 Plus. I think it might have something to do with the location service. I see the small icon on the top right.

How do I turn it off? No need for Safari to share my location.

I'm running iOS 8.0.2.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
the battery usage only tells you what app is using the most battery. If Safari is 50%, it only means you're using Safari the most. Unless you're noticing unusual battery drain, there's nothing wrong with Safari using 50% or more.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
According to the battery usage, Safari is eating more than 50% of the battery on my 6 Plus. I think it might have something to do with the location service. I see the small icon on the top right.

I'm running iOS 8.0.2.

Battery usage is relative.
How long has it been since a full charge?
How much do you use Safari?
I could see something like 50% usage after using Safari for an hour with the nothing else but the device being turned on for 24 hours.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Safari only uses location services when you're actively browsing, only on sites that explicitly request your location, and only if you give each site permission each time it wants your location - it is not possible to give sites persistent location access on Mobile Safari.

In other words, location services is almost certainly not the cause of your battery life issue. Most likely it's just your normal usage of the browser. Rendering Web pages, especially if you ever load non-mobile sites, just eats a lot of battery. Safari is the single biggest battery hog on my phone as well, but it's proportional to my actual usage.

TheUnforgiven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Thank you all for your kind replies!

Safari doesn't show up under Location Services, so gordon1234, you are right. I have no issues with my battery, but I just found it odd that 50% was used for Safari. I never imagined it to be the hog on the phone.

I use Safari instead of the Facebook app, because it's filled with bugs and slow. That probably explains a lot.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014

I'm running iOS 8.0.2.

Happened to me the other day and I didn't even use safari. I'm on 8.1 b2 though

Try clearing your safari data. Go to settings, safari, clear history and website data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.