Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
This is really really starting to annoy me. If Safari tells me once more that I have spelled organise or armour wrong I'm going to throw my computer out of the window.

How do I get the spell checker to use the en-gb dictionary?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Press CONTROL an click in a text window. Select Spelling from the Spelling menu and change the dictionary to a more appropriate one in the drop down list. While we're at it, go to the International pane of System Preferences and click on Edit List in the Language tab. Tick British English and then press Okay. Now drag it to the top of the list. :)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Press CONTROL an click in a text window. Select Spelling from the Spelling menu and change the dictionary to a more appropriate one in the drop down list. While we're at it, go to the International pane of System Preferences and click on Edit List in the Language tab. Tick British English and then press Okay. Now drag it to the top of the list. :)

Thank you :D. That was driving me nuts :).

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia

What's the difference between British and Australian English, I could choose either.

Also what happens if I select "Multilingual" in the spelling menu ?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No worries mate. Streuth, it drove me whackers too, 'fore I bloody found tha bloomin' Aussie dic!

Multilingual is just that; it allows for all sorts of languages and dialects. It kinda defies the point of a spell checker though, since so many regular typos get passed off as different variants or words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.