safari/et al

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jczubach, Jul 8, 2007.

1. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

:apple:I'm 'a' thinking as the cult of mac grows and visits to these forums increases, that perhaps the main forum topics may individuate and address mainstream mac/apple programs. i.e. specific threads/forum topics for problems related to: safari; iphoto; quicktime; (and of course, bad spelling/grammar, etc...)
    I love perusing the various threads in search of my particular issues but this idea would seem to alleviate/accommodate the process. any thoughts? I am particularly interested in caveats/reasoning from the mods. for why this hasn't occured. with all due respect, methinks this is one of the best forums on the net. you folk always make me proud. such civility.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

firstly, this should be in the Site Comments section of the forum, not Software.

secondly, this is not a good idea. there are so many applications in OS X that there would simply be too many differentiated areas of the forum. imagine if we had an area for each iPod model, each revision of a computer, etc. it's unnecessary and would clutter up the already straightforward and simple division of topics.

thirdly, i think users need to choose more descriptive titles for their threads. this would help everyone navigate the forums much more easily and respond to threads based on an individual user's expertise. so instead of "safari/et al" the title of this could be "suggestion for further subdivision of forum topics". instead of "iPod problem" we would see "iPod nano will not mount", etc.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True... there might be a little room for this, like a user's browsers/web subforum (just as there is a forum for web developers), but I think that even if, say, the whole of iLife had its own forum, there would not be enough traffic to justify it. I think, for instance, likewise, that Safari, Firefox, etc, would not have enough traffic for individual forums. But one user's web forum that addresses browsers, themes, plugins, add-ons, site functionality, search engines, etc, might make sense.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This made me chuckle because as I was clicking this thread title, I thought to myself, "Wow, I really wish the thread title were more descriptive..."

I could not agree more that naming thread titles appropriately would be a huge help.