Safari extension/app to nuke elements?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petisjioweelsha, Apr 29, 2019.

1. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

There used to be a Safari extension called "QuickNuke" that allowed us to select arbitrary images and other elements of the current web page and temporarily eliminate them as a way to clean-up a page before printing/saving etc. It has completely disappeared though.

Anyone know of a current app/extension for Safari that can do something like this?
    I see that there is a bookmarklet project that aims to do this, but I have concerns about the privacy/security of a javascript bookmarklet so I'm hoping to find a native app/extension.

2. Colonel Blimp macrumors regular

Colonel Blimp

The now deprecated Safari Extensions Gallery version of AdBlock can do this (as can, I believe, many other ad blocking extensions). That’s what I use, and I’m quite happy with it. It uses the Safari Content Blocking API, which should provide good privacy and security.

(When I recently tried the new Mac App Store version of AdBlock, my custom element-hiding rules were not used, and I did not explore further whether that functionality is planned for the future, or whether it’s available currently for a price.)

3. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the pointer about possibly using an ad blocker @Colonel Blimp.
    I'll take another look to see if the current crop of Content Blocker based tools offer the ability to temporarily remove items.

4. Colonel Blimp macrumors regular

Colonel Blimp

Now that I reread your initial post, I see that you were asking about something that will temporarily remove page elements.

AdBlock’s custom rules are persistent, but by copying your custom filters in AdBlock’s options (e.g. by dragging them to the desktop) and then restoring them after printing or saving, you could, with just a little more work, achieve the same effect.

(Safari’s Reader view will also clean up pages for printing or saving, but I suspect you know that already.)